[NEohioPAL] A Criticism of Criticism

Bruce Jennings dadsongs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 11:12:29 PST 2009

Hi, Everyone:

I have to begin this by saying that I am not a theater person, although I
have performed in the past. I am not even currently active in the world of
the arts…and so this thread doesn't  really apply to me. However ignorant I
am of the world of criticism, I feel compelled to ask this question: with
respect to the effect that criticism at large can have on an artist, when
all is said and done...who cares what anyone thinks?

It seems that if an artist is compelled to create, fueled not by the need to
seek approval, but with the intention of purely taking something from the
point of conception to the point of realization, then the artist is no
longer bound by conventional wisdom or anything else which could jeopardize
the integrity of his/her art. In the perfect world, this may be true. Don't
worry, I think we'll get there eventually.

View this in the light of television shows like "American Idol". Why do
people watch shows of this nature? What is the purpose? I know it is
fantasy, despite the fact that it is the most successful "reality show" of
all time. Should we as a culture look to it as being a model for how talent
is perceived? I hope not. Yet, it's hard for me to watch people be
humiliated as they are being judged.

Admittedly, I understand that the contestants put themselves in the position
to be treated like that, and that American Idol shouldn't be considered in a
rational discussion of criticism. However, my question still is, "Who
benefits from this nastiness?" It can only serve to fatten the bottom line
of the producers.  But in the long run, I fear that millions of the most
impressionable viewers come away from watching it with a sense that the
behavior of the judges – and their treatment of the contestants – is
justifiable! How sad!

In fact, I've even observed members of our community – adults, mind you –
operate under the same inflated posture of self-importance as the
*Idol*judges when evaluating the performance of children in an
audition.
*Children!* I remember coming away from that situation – hopefully, a rare
occurrence --  feeling that I wanted no part of that world.

But, apart from that, I believe that art (in its purest sense) is a gift
that comes from pure intention…and taken as such, I hope there will be a day
when we all can accept the gift with a gracious, unconditional *thank you*,
and then move on.

Bruce Jennings

Shaker Heights, OH