[NEohioPAL] A Criticism of Criticism

Robert Hawkes rhhawkes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 05:58:12 PST 2009

The analytical work of film critics such as David Bordwell, of literary
critics such as Harold Bloom - and so on; the list is long - has helped me
immeasurably, in many cases, to understand better what I'm looking at, and
to have a richer experience of life and of art.

On a more informal level, the work of such folk as our local theatre (and
other) critics helps not only to promote attendance but to keep alive a
certain amount of productive discussion about the state of our local arts.
Their function is (ideally) vital to the health of an artistic community.

What thoughtful and informed folk think is worth considering.

"Criticism", in the sense of bullying children, or in the sense of the
childish and self-serving put-downs one hears from the judges on *American
Idol*, is an entirely non-artistic, non-intellectual matter, and should be
discussed separately.

RHH