[NEohioPAL] There's a whole lotta blues going on in the latest production A HOUSE WITH NO WALLS at Karamu House!!!

performingarts at karamu.com performingarts at karamu.com
Fri Jan 30 12:20:56 PST 2009

There's a whole lotta blues going on in the latest production A HOUSE WITH
NO WALLS at Karamu House!!!

A House With No Walls
What: Karamu Theatre presents the play by Thomas Gibbons, directed by
Terrence Spivey.
When: Through Sunday, Feb. 15.
Where: 2355 East 89th St., Cleveland.
Tickets: $20-$25. Call 216-795-7070 or go to Karamu.com.

What Critics Are Saying About A HOUSE WITH NO WALLS

Tony Brown, Cleveland Plain Dealer...

"This is the third in a trilogy of plays by Gibbons addressing similar
issues in different artistic arenas, with "Bee-Luther-Hatchee" operating
in the literary world and "Permanent Collection" in the visual-arts realm.
With "Walls," Karamu becomes one of the only theaters in the country to do
all three. And, just as he did with the previous two, Karamu artistic
director Terrence Spivey takes us on a stylish tour of the contentions at
play."

"Katrice Headd, all polish and control, leads the seven-member cast as a
black historian whose contrarian views about victimhood and
responsibility..."

"Peter Lawson Jones, a Cuyahoga County commissioner in real life, takes
government to task as a protester demanding a slave-quarters museum on the
site."

"Clyde Simon makes brief but memorable appearances in several roles..."

"The house, in the end, might not have walls. But this play has real guts,
and it sticks to your ribs long after the final curtain."

Kelly Ferjutz, CoolCleveland.com...

"I love it when a theatrical production ends before my concentration
begins to falter. A House with No Walls, now at Karamu through February
15, held my attention so thoroughly on opening night (even at close to 2
1/2 hours, including intermission) that I really did not want it to be
over. It's as close to a perfect production as I've seen in several
years."

"As Salif, Peter Lawson Jones is a forceful advocate for his people and
their cause. Katrice Headd is his equal as Cadence."

Tony Zanoni totally inhabits the dual roles he portrays: the modern-day
historian-researcher Allen Rosen, and the abolitionist Tobias H umphreys..."

"Taresa Willingham invests Oney with a dignity that puts a lump in your
throat, and may even invoke tears. James Hakim is excellent as a slightly
addled Austin..".

"The unique set was designed by John Konopka and the fabulous costumes
(historical and modern day) were by Harold Crawford. Lighting and sound
design, which added greatly to the overall ambiance were by Richard H.
Morris, Jr."

"But Terrence Spivey deserves double props (or maybe even more than that)
for having selected this play, casting it so perfectly and then adding his
impressive skills as director to make it all work. Regardless of your
beliefs or your skin color, you should not miss this production."

Christine Howey, Rave and PAN...

"Gibbons writes  crisp and powerful dialogue that believably sketches the
opposing viewpoints of blacks today."

...these scenes are in good hands, with Peter Lawson Jones conveying
strength and purpose, along with a sly sense of humor, as Salif. Katrice
Monee Head is equally forceful as Cadence, making her “conservative”
points with no less passion.

James S. Hakim gives Austin a quirkily energetic yet vulnerable quality
that is quite amusing, even endearing, and serves the character well.

Director Terrence Spivey keeps the pacing tight...there is a lot of red
meat to chew on in this play...

Fran Heller, Cleveland Jewish News...

" Strongest are Peter Lawson Jones as the fire-and-brimstone activist
Salif Camara and Katrice Monee Headd as the equally strong-minded Cadence
Lane."

"Pretty Taresa Willingham is quite moving as the slave Oney Judge...James
S. Hakim is oddly affecting as the dreamy-eyed, childlike older brother
Austin. Calvin Lane is utterly believable as Jacob Easton...Harold
Crawford’s costumes faithfully differentiate the time frames."

"Despite its strong polemical bent, “
Walls” is a thought-provoking,
intelligent and honest probe of race not only from the black-white
perspective, but within the black community."

2008/09 Season of A L'il Night Music and a Whole Lotta Blues

The Bow Wow Club
March 13 - April 12, 2009

Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill
April 24 - May 24, 2009

17th Annual R. Joyce Whitley ARENAFEST of New Works
March 30 - April 10, 2009

Ghostlight Series Presents a World Premier Workshop Production
Before I Die: The War Against Tupac Shakur
June 4 - June 16, 2009

2008/09 Summer Musical

It Ain't Nothin' But The Blues
July 10 - August 2, 2009