[NEohioPAL] A Mike & Ike "satirical" review of Akron University's Big River

Jeff Holland mikethelimeyandikethehick at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 9 12:43:28 PDT 2009

WARNING:  THE FOLLOWING REVIEW HAS DICK CHENEY'S STINK ALL OVER IT

Mike: (English accent) Greetings and salutations.  He's not Mike.

Ike: (Southern accent) He ain't Ike.  That's right, boys and girls, we're takin' a little time out from our surprisingly increasingly successful websites ta spread the word a some great the-ater that most a y'all probably missed cause it's over and didn't get any promotion ta begin with.

M:  But before we get to the actual review of Big River, we have something we need to say.  We found out that the cast did not have any kind of set until pretty much the week before opening.

I:  We're gonna repeat that.  College kids, who are not getting paid, did not have a set for a musical--with a large cast--until tech week!

M:  There was a lot of behind the scenes drama going on and, as much as we'd like to name names, we're not going to.

I:  The people involved know who they are and ta them we say this:  You let these kids down.

M:  And you suck.

I:  So say we all.

M:  Now, on to something happier.  The show itself.

I:  This thing frakkin' rocked!

M:  It really did.

I:  It had it's moments a weirdness.

M:  Well, it is a Susan Speers show.

I:  And we mean that lovingly.

M:  We've seen a lot of her shows over the years.

I:  And all of them just have one or thirty things that are just . . . off.

M:  To quote Dilbert, it's a paradigm shifting without a clutch.

I:  And that makes us happy.

M:  We like to call these moments "Speers Cheers."

I:  And the Speers Cheers for Big River are:

M:  A raft that defies the laws of physics floating on a river that defies the laws of nature.

I:  Havin' the actors playin' slaves bringin' out and movin' some set pieces, but havin' others moved by poltergeists.  This one works on a couple levels.

M:  The character who, in song, introduces us to Arkansas.  We don't know what particular universe he's from, we just know we'd like to visit there.

I:  And it's nice ta know that Large Marge is still workin.'

M:  An Equity actor was brought in to play Jim, and it shows.

I:  And the guy playin' Huck matched him point for point.

M:  The songs were great.

I:  It was funny.

M:  It was just a good time.

I:  It wasn't perfect by any means.

M:  But when you're having that much fun, who really cares.

I:  It got a standin' ovation.

M:  And it deserved it.

I:  Get well, Susan.

M:  And good luck, JT