[NEohioPAL] Script for the Wedekind's original "SpringAwakening"/"The Awakening of Spring"?

Ansley Valentine avalentine at wooster.edu
Mon Mar 9 21:18:02 PDT 2009

Lincoln--

Spring Awakening has been translated many, many times. There are lots of
versions to choose from. The best place for you to go is to your local
branch of the library. Even though Cuyahoga County Public Library does
not have any copies available, they do have other resources. Most Ohio
libraries belong to OhioLink. Through this service, you can borrow books
from any library in the system. That means you have access to the
collections of the Ohio colleges and universities. Through this service,
you will find multiple copies in various English translations. The
library may also have access to several online databases with a copy of
the play. These databases probably have to be accessed from the library
itself. Again, talk to your local librarian. I am sure s/he will be glad
to help you in your search.

Here are a few versions you might look for:

Early 20th-century German plays / edited by Margaret Herzfeld-Sander
New York : Continuum, 1998

Spring's awakening : tragedy of childhood / Frank Wedekind ; English
version and ten notes by Eric B
Wedekind, Frank, 1864-1918
New York : Applause, c1995

Plays, one / Frank Wedekind ; translated and introduced by Edward Bond
and Elisabeth Bond-Pablé
Wedekind, Frank, 1864-1918
London : Methuen Drama, 1993

Spring awakening : a full length play / by Frank Wedekind ; translated
by Edward Bond
Wedekind, Frank, 1864-1918
Chicago : Dramatic Pub. Co., c1979

Spring awakening / Frank Wedekind ; translated by Tom Osborn
Wedekind, Frank, 1864-1918
London : J. Calder ; Dallas, [TX] : Riverrun Press, 1978

Spring awakening / Frank Wedekind ; in a new version by Ted Hughes
Wedekind, Frank, 1864-1918
London ; Boston : Faber, 1995

awakening of spring, a tragedy of childhood, by Frank Wedekind;
translated from the German by Fr
Wedekind, Frank, 1864-1918
Philadelphia, Brown Brothers, 1910

The awakening of spring : a tragedy of childhood / by Frank Wedekind;
translated from the German by
Wedekind, Frank, 1864-1918
Philadelphia : Brown Brothers, 1909

Ansley Valentine
Associate Professor
Co-Vice Chair, Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival, Region
III
College of Wooster Film Studies Program Chair

The College of Wooster
Department of Theatre & Dance
1189 Beall Avenue
Wooster, OH 44691
330-263-2028 Office
330-347-1519 Cell Phone
330-263-2690 Fax
>>> Lincoln King-Cliby <lking-cliby at lincoln.homeip.net> 03/09/09 11:10
PM >>>
[I posted this last night, but I never saw it show up... I think I may
have
posted from an address that's not subscribed to NEOPAL, and appologies
if
you're reading a 2nd copy of this]

 I haven't really gotten anywhere with Google, so I figured I'd ask
here:

The musical version of Spring Awakening makes for a very compelling show
--
one of the more compelling I've seen recently, and one of very few where
I'm

Anyway... I'd really like to get my hands on the script for the original
(1891) play to read for my own enlightenment... and I'm not having any
luck.

Electronic or paper doesn't matter, but an English translation is
critical... any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,

Lincoln