[NEohioPAL] Honoring Commitments

DVangaasbe at aol.com DVangaasbe at aol.com
Wed Apr 8 12:01:14 PDT 2009

An age old problem has hit the Canal Fulton Players.  One of its major
players in the upcoming production of Once Upon a Mattress auditioned  for a
major part in another playhouse's musical on Sunday.  He was given a  call
back by that playhouse and he was told allegedly by the director that he  would
only be considered for the part if he somehow dropped the role in our
production mainly because of a rehearsal conflict over a period of about seven
days.  Guess who dropped out of our play quicker than a speeding bullet
even though he was not yet offered the part in the second production?  You
guessed it.  I know the director and I do not think he gave that ultimatum  to
the actor but this actor felt compelled to drop our play.  I do believe
that someone else in that playhouse encouraged this drop out.  The second  play
opens about two to three weeks after our play closes.  Thus, except  for
about seven days of conflict in rehearsal, there was no need for this actor
to drop out of Once Upon a Mattress.  Frankly, I do believe that  the actor
has some stars in his eyes mainly over the difference in venues- ours  being
an environmental type theatre, the other being a stage in a very big
complex.  The part that he gave up in my opinion was far better to display  his
talents than the part that he received a callback.  I think in about  ten
years he will realize the folly of his decision.

I would like to state what our policy is with the Canal Fulton Players as
to honoring an actor's commitment to another playhouse and its  production.
If I feel we can work around the other rehearsal and  performance schedule,
I will indeed work around that schedule telling the  actor that until the
other playhouse's schedule and performances are over, they  are paramount.
If I feel we cannot work around the other rehearsal and  performance
schedule, I will not cast the actor reminding that person of  his or her commitment
to the first playhouse.  If there is an opportunity  where the producers and
directors can accommodate the actor as to rehearsals and  performances, I
will be more than happy to accommodate. However, I  will only agree to the
accommodation if the first director agrees to it.

I have honored several actors' and actresses' commitments to other
playhouses.  It is no secret that the schedules of the various theatres in  this
region differ.  That means rehearsals and performances might  overlap.  I can
say that I have never had a conflict over performances but  I have honored
rehearsal schedules.  I am suggesting to everyone that we  all do that.  I
know the director of the second production in this  matter reads this site
religiously because I have corresponded with  him over the years.  I am hoping
that he does not suffer the same fate as I  have received because this actor
seems to be making some rash decisions which  are only going to probably
wreck his budding career in this region.  I  let him go because I felt he
would become a cancer to the cast mainly because he  did not want to be there
anymore.  It is sad because the guy is talented  but he seems to make
decisions without realizing the true repercussions of  his acts.  He is no longer
welcome at our playhouse since I  cannot cast him in another production.  I
could not sick him on  an unexpecting cast.  This cast already is three and
one half weeks  into rehearsal and our choreographer and musical director have
worked  with this actor extensively.  We have to start from  scratch.

Give me your thoughts on the matter.  I think we producers and  directors
should also honor commitments while at the same time working with the  actors
and actresses who may have a conflict.  The understudy to this  particular
actor had to be moved to another part when there was a family  problem
affecting that second part's original actor.  Thus, we had no  understudy and we
are scrambling at this moment.  However, we will fill the  part.  As we say,
"the show must go on."

David Van Gaasbeek, Director and Producer, Canal Fulton Players at the UMC
Family Theatre.

**************New Deals on Dell Netbooks – Now starting at $299 (A
HREF=http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219939010x1201342897/aol?redir=http:%2F
%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B213771626%3B35379597%3Bw)