[NEohioPAL] Cleveland Play House set to move downtown

James Kosmatka jkosmatka at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 12:39:15 PDT 2009

With no offense intended to Ms. Kristy, its messages like these that are
beginning to worry me.  Being a student at the CSU Dramatic Arts Program,
I've watched the news evolve in a disturbing way.  First, there was a
potential $50million performing arts complex.  Then there was the Allen
Theatre move, which was followed by a plan to have the Allen Theatre host
CSU Dramatic Arts *along with* showcasing other NEOhio performing arts
programs.  And now the Playhouse has thrown its lot in and would it be any
surprise if CSU's students *de facto *get muscled out?  Not if the public
response, which has virtually ignored the presence of CSU in this deal, is
any indicator.

Despite the meteoric rise of CSU Dramatic Arts over the last five years (CSU
Summer Stages; CSU students becoming major forces in local and national
companies, really fantastic product such as *She Stoops to Conquer *and *
Machinal*), I really worry that this could be the beginning of the program
becoming marginalized to the point of being an afterthought in the
Playhouse/Playhouse Square machine.  Having students getting coffee for
Patti LuPone and ushering for *The Gin Game *is not going to create talent
in the city of Cleveland.  Cleveland will continue exporting its best
theatre students to other regions, and it will have to keep importing talent
from New York, Hollywood and Idaho to draw crowds.

It is my understanding that CSU has received assurances that our programming
will not be diminished and that we will not be taking a back seat to the
Playhouse, but a year ago, we weren't going to be sharing the space with
them at all, so who can say?

I urge all of the artists in Cleveland to remind the decision makers and the
power brokers of the central role a rigorous education plays in promoting a
creative class.  There is no panacea for what ails Cleveland.  Neither a
Medical Mart, a Health Line, nor a stadium will fix our problems.  One of
the things, though, that will help turn the tide in Cleveland is an
educational system we can be proud of.

Sincerely,

James Kosmatka
CSU Dramatic Arts Program