[NEohioPAL] Cleveland Play House set to move downtown

Christopher Fortunato learnedhand at live.com
Thu Apr 9 15:01:34 PDT 2009

How much money is CSU going to come up with to buy into this program?  That's all that counts in this equation.

Cleveland will probably continue to import actors from outside of the region for its various professional theatres.  The Playhouse has consitently cast out of NYC only hiring a few Cleveland actors every season.  In small parts in plays, they will usually use one of the professors in the CWRU MFA program or use one of its students.  That's one of the benefits of a program like that.  You can use such talent for the little parts.

At one time, the Cleveland Playhouse had a resident theatre company.  This company disbanded in the late 80s under the inglorious leadership of Josephine Abady, who was then summarily dispatched from her duties at the Playhouse.  She then went to NYC where she either helmed Manhattan Theatre Club or Playwrights Horizons and alienated people there running that organization into the ground.  Since that time, Cleveland has teemed with highly qualified talent who are members of Actors Equity.  They are vastly under-employed here.

There can be many reasons for reliance on NYC talent.  First, that is the hiring hall for the bulk of Equity talent.  Second, these actors chops are always hot.  They are always in audition mode and the pick of talent is ripe.

Other local houses have gone to NYC to cast shows that are produced in Cleveland as well.  That will most likely be a reality for some time.

But I would not be disdainful of doing support work for shows like the Gin Game or getting coffee for Patti LuPone.  If you're getting coffee for Patti, but you are able to watch Patti rehearse, you are getting a free master class of sorts.  Some of the best lessons I've learned was watching some great Equity actors around town in shows I've been cast.

If you ever get the chance to work with some great local Equity actors like Tom Fulton, Scott Plate, Elizabeth Townsend, Nick Koesters, Terri Kent, Sue Johnson, Sandra Emerick, Eric van Baars, Rohn Thomas (I've probably missed some) do not pass up the chance to do so!! They've taught me so much in five short years.

Christopher Fortunato, EMC