[NEohioPAL] Gem of Lakewood: Author Gary Allen Marmolya

Kishia Williamson kishia.williamson at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 16 19:32:56 PDT 2009

Lakewood's Secret Gem: Dr. Gary Allen Marmolya, author and photographer
guides budding writers

Ask most area bookstore, art gallery or coffeehouse owners about Dr.
Marmolya and you'll see a smile slide across his or her face as they relate
their experience meeting him.  "Oh, I'm very familiar with his work, The
Gems of The Emerald Necklace" a local librarian smiled.  She
enthusiastically went to say his books had even made their way overseas into
the hands of readers abroad.

With his infectious laugh, dry wit and silver beard, when Dr. Marmolya walks
into a room, people notice.  "I once was cast in a movie once because I
looked the part of a Russian bad guy," he laughed at his experience being
unexpectedly placed in a big budget Hollywood film.  However, the long time
resident of Lakewood has been pursuing his love of photography, authoring
books and lecturing for over 30 years all while practicing radiology.  "I
always admired famous medical professionals who also took time to carry out
writing careers, many such as the poet William Carlos Williams or the more
notable novelist, Michael Crichton who went on to create movies and hit
shows like E.R.

Dr. Marmolya, whose books and unique stationary are found in Joseph-Beth's
Book Sellers and Borders, often gets many questions from friends, neighbors
or even people he meets in a grocery store line about writing. "I've learned
by trail and error," Dr. Marmolya said continuing," Since college, I've just
kept writing and publishing--everything from poetry to scientific articles.
I've also attended many workshops and conferences to learn about the
industry and become a better writer."  He went on to recall one of his
favorite conference experiences, listening to keynote speaker, Mary Higgins
Clark. "I stood in line for what seemed like HOURS just to get an
autographed book for my Mother!"

As he works on his next book about weight-loss, Dr. Marmolya prepares for
his debut with The Writers Gathering, a group that brings resources to local
authors and soon to be authors.  "I'm really excited about it," says Dr.
Marmolya," I want to give new writers the real scoop on what it takes to
accomplish their writing goals regardless of genre; and maybe even get that
book or script deal they've always wanted!"

Join Dr. Gary Allen Marmolya, Saturday June 6th from 10 am to 1 pm at West
Shore Unitarian Universalist Church & Conference Center, 20401 Hilliard
Blvd., Rocky River, Ohio 44116 for A CONVERSATION WITH PUBLISHED AUTHOR GARY
ALLEN MARMOLYA: GOING FROM AN IDEA TO A BOOK DEAL! Dr. Marmolya will share
helpful resources, insight and humor in an open discussion on writing your
own success story without quitting your day job. The author encourages local
writers to invest in this exciting opportunity to learn how to realistically
maximize the chance of finishing and publishing a book.  Even non-writers
may enjoy the many quotes and stories of admonishment and inspiration.  A
writer's resource guide, giveaways as well as beverages and snacks will be
provided. Email event coordinator Kish Williamson for details @
kishia.williamson at sbcglobal.net or visit
<http://www.kishia.net/WritersGathering.html>
http://www.kishia.net/WritersGathering.html for additional details.