[NEohioPAL] Ballet Theatre Ashtabula's Spring Dance Production Opens Tonight!

Pamela Hammond aac at ashartscenter.org
Fri May 8 06:22:21 PDT 2009

Ballet Theatre Ashtabula will present an original production,

"Random 8's,"

on May 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, and 17

at the Ashtabula Arts Center

2928 West 13th Street, Ashtabula, OH 44004.

Friday and Saturday shows begin at 7:30 p.m.

Sunday matinees begin at 2:00 p.m.

We try very hard to keep our shows affordable for everyone!  On site parking
is free and show tickets are

$12 patron seating, $9 adults, $8 seniors and $7 students and children.

Tickets can be purchased by visiting the Ashtabula Arts Center box office or
by calling (440) 964-3396.  Walk-ins are also welcome.

Directed by Shelagh Dubsky and Clover Robinson, the dance concert featuring
some of Northeast Ohio's most talented ballet dancers, will bring together a
series of images, styles and music to create an interesting and moving
experience.

Premieres this spring include the haunting music of Vitamin String Quartet
performing U2's "Running to Stand Still" as a backdrop for an emotional
journey of six dancers separating and coming together again. Another new
work is set to the music of Philip Glass whose style is quite recognizable
owing to its seeming simplicity and hypnotically beautiful themes.  Composed
for Stephen Daldry's film "The Hours," the music creates a dreamlike palette
for dancers to move with contemporary freedom.

For sheer fun, "Mango Tango" showcases the company with a cool Latin groove.
Inspired by the passion of Tango and the flirtatious sound of the mandolin,
a full cast brings you a taste of exotic fun.

Other works on the program range from classical ballet as in the popular
"Diamonds," a ballet choreographed to Karl Jenkin's popular diamonds
commercial to "Hey Mama" a full company piece derived from African Rhythms
and movement with music by the Black Eyed Peas. Also premiering is a work
titled "Stage Six."  Based on an educational philosophy of critical thinking
developed by Benjamin Bloom.

Come on out to the ballet this month and experience one of our most
breathtakingly beautiful shows of the year!

Pamela Hammond
Public Relations/Marketing Coordinator
Ashtabula Arts Center
Phone/Fax: 440.964.3396