[NEohioPAL] "Fast paced comedy that never lags" BIG BOYS at Actors' Summit Reviewed

Neil Thackaberry thackaberryn at actorssummit.org
Tue May 19 07:26:44 PDT 2009

If you’ve ever had a crazy boss, you’ll easily be able to relate to *Big
Boys*, an absurdist comedy now playing at the Actors’ Summit Theater in
Hudson. Grounded in the reality of big business, *Big Boys* is very funny
look at how our jobs can overtake our lives and personalities and transform
us into versions of ourselves that we could hardly imagine and barely
recognize.

Norm needs a job and interviews with company President Victor. Norm is nice
– Victor is ruthless. Norm has a business education background – Victor
comes up with crazy schemes that are probably illegal and definitely
unethical to move the company forward. Victor forces the nice Norm to
abandon his ethics, values, and reliance on business models to become
another version of himself. Will Norm eventually sell his soul and become
the mirror-image of the ruthless Victor?

This two character dance is wonderfully played out on the Actors’ Summit
stage. Neil Thackaberry is perfect as the pompous, off the wall Victor. You
never know what he will do or say next and most of the time it’s hilarious.
Keith Stevens is also terrific as the flustered Norm who tries to maintain
some semblance of sanity.  Physically and comically, they are perfect foils
and are a joy to watch. This is fast-paced comedy that never lags. It’s
almost like watching an extended Monty Python or Second City routine, except
this is often funnier.

*Big Boys* plays Actors’ Summit in Hudson thru May 31.

For more information, visit actorssummit.org or call 330-342-0800.

Fred Dolan
88.7 WJCU-FM