[NEohioPAL] Talented Oberlin Summer Theater Festival Cast presents The Glass Menagerie and The Tempest, June 26-July 18

Rebecca Balmer rbalmer at oberlin.edu
Sat Jun 20 08:33:24 PDT 2009

*Talented OSTF Cast Presents The Glass Menagerie and The Tempest, June
26-July 18*

OBERLIN, OHIO — Friday, June 26th marks the opening of the inaugural season
of the Oberlin Summer Theater Festival (OSTF), which will present free and
family-friendly productions of Tennessee Williams’ The Glass Menagerie, June
26 through July 18 in rotating repertory with Shakespeare’s The Tempest,
July 3 through July 18 in Oberlin College’s Hall Auditorium.

No play in the modern theater has so captured the imagination and heart of
the American public as The Glass Menagerie. More than 50 years after telling
his story of a family whose lives form a triangle of quiet desperation,
Williams’ voice still resonates deeply and universally.

Joining the OSTF company in The Glass Menagerie is Mieko Gavia, a third-year
theater major at Oberlin, “a wonderfully talented young actress who will do
a super job as Laura,” says OSTF founder and artistic director Paul Moser.
This production will be Gavia’s fifth show at Oberlin.

Performing the role of Laura’s mother, Amanda, will be veteran actress Karen
Nelson-Moser. Justin Emeka, who was Biff in Oberlin’s 2008 production of
Death of a Salesman, will portray Tom, Laura’s brother and the play’s
narrator.

The Tempest presents some of Shakespeare's most insightful meditations on
the cycle of life—ending and beginning, death and regeneration, bondage and
freedom. Starring as Prospero, the usurped Duke of Milan and sorcerer, is
Matthew Wright; he has been seen in a wide variety of roles in a number of
theater productions throughout greater Cleveland.

Moser, Wright, and Emeka also are members of Oberlin’s faculty and they are
enjoying working with the young professionals. “Our talented Oberlin theater
alumni pool is our greatest asset,” says Moser. “We are very excited that
already, this our first summer, the interest of our alumni has been
overwhelming.

The theater graduates taking roles in The Tempest are Alexis Macnab '01 as
the fairy Ariel and Benjamin Stuber '03 as Trinculo and Antonio; both are
also designing and building the puppets to be featured in the Shakespearean
classic. Performing with them and assisting with video design is Ben
Sinclair '06 as the monster Caliban and Sebastian. Aaron Mucciolo '02 is
Stephano and Alonso.

Lisa Maley '08, who is Prospero’s daughter, Miranda, is assisting with
building The Tempest puppets and helping with stage management for The Glass
Menagerie. In the role of Miranda’s love Ferdinand is Andrew Mooney ’09.
Mike McGee, class of ’08, is designing the lights for both shows and
collaborating on video projections for The Glass Menagerie.

Performances of The Glass Menagerie and The Tempest will be presented in
rotating repertory so audience members can see the two shows on alternate
nights, or catch both on Saturdays andSundays. Showtimes are Tuesdays,
Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at 7 p.m., Fridays at 9 p.m. and
Saturdays and Sundays at 2 p.m. For specific performance dates, visit
www.oberlin.edu/ostf.

Admission is free, but seating is limited. Tickets are required. Reserve
tickets prior to the performances by calling the Central Ticket Service box
office at (440) 775-8169 or e-mailing requests to ostf at oberlin.edu.

--
Rebecca Balmer
Associate Producer