[NEohioPAL] Libraries, opinions

Christopher Fortunato learnedhand at live.com
Thu Jun 25 06:46:43 PDT 2009

Robert is usually spot on.  The budgets of libraries are mostly covered from local sources especially millage on property taxes.  I fault Senator Voinovich for this who had the intangibles tax repealed in the 1990s.  This tax was placed on the sales of stocks and bonds, hence, it was paid for by upper income people for the most part.  The tax went to fund libraries.  It was enacted by Senator Robert Taft when he served in the General Assembly before going to Washington.

Since all governments are in budget straits, every public sector agency needs to make some cuts OR if the public wants, will raise taxes.  Many of these public sector agencies have highly ranked administrators making over six figures (especially school districts) but can they justify the expense?  Doubtful.  I don't think the Democrats will want to go into an election cycle next year having raised taxes or the Republicans will trot out the old wallet and padlock commercials again.

Tax and spend types will just have to take one for the team this year.