[NEohioPAL] Libraries, opinions

Robert Hawkes rhhawkes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 18:43:04 PDT 2009

Our discourse in this culture does a lot of dignifying taste, gut reaction,
and prejudice with the name of "opinion". (Just watch the local news, any
sportscast, talk show, game show, etc.) A real opinion, worth its salt,
ought to be discussable, as taste, gut reaction, and prejudice are not. A
real opinion ought to be a reasonable judgment based upon sober observation
- "expert testimony", in other words.

In this particular case, I haven't enough information about where we are
spending State money to offer an opinion about how not to cut funds to
libraries. My *feeling* is that we shouldn't cut those funds (or the funds
to state parks, either). My *suspicion *is that we over-spend in some other
places. My actual *knowledge* of State spending and its management is
insufficient to support real opinion.

RHH