[NEohioPAL] "Tootsie" as "Cleopatra"

Ensemble Theatre ensemble-theatre at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 17 14:22:33 PDT 2009

I must say that Shakespeare shines royally in your hands, Larry Nehring. That you
have had ample opportunity to examine the who's, what's, when's, and where's of most of
William's plays is brilliantly explained in your 'versions of Shakespeare.' If the casting of all male plays makes Shakespeare controversial and, gets "butts in the seats" so be it!!
If ever there was a problem of getting "butts in seats'" it is today, hoy dia, oggi - fully in the present tense. If it begins to create the Elizabethan ambience of the 17th century when
Shakespeare was writing, I say Amen to that also. We need to be tranported back to those times when a wrongly place word meant someone's head might roll.

Did the "version" of Antony and Cleopatra" that I saw at Wade Oval differ markedly from
the one William presented at the Globe in 1608??  I think that CSF was as faithful in
telling this compelling story as William was almost four centuries ago.
I would think our egalitarian age wants a real woman to play Cleopatra, although when
Dustin Hoffman played "Tootsie" he truly allowed us to see what was in the mix when
Shakepeare dressed men in women's clothes - and also in their words!!!! I think the modern
preoccupation of "suspension of disbelief" was the farthest thought from Shakespeare's
male actors' minds, since no woman ever had the opportunity to put a definitive female identity on the Egyptian siren, or the other 'womens' roles..

It was the Elizabethan customs and mores concerning men as
more 'natural' actors, a legacy from the Greeks, that set the 1st Century story in the form
sent down to us today. And if  Shakespeare ever stops being interpreted, revised, or otherwise 'messed with' as the purists say, as is Aristophanes, Sophocles, and Chekhov,  the connection to the contemporary society that presents it will be lost. That then, would
be a complete disservice to the Bard, and finally, to ourselves.

Martin Cosentino