[NEohioPAL] BOGO WEDNESDAY: TONIGHT for ME AND MY GIRL at Mercury Summer Stock

Mercury Summer Stock mercuryss at mac.com
Wed Aug 19 09:21:38 PDT 2009

ME AND MY GIRL

Book and lyrics by L. Arthur Rose and Douglas Furber

Music by Noel Gay

Directed and Choreographed by Pierre-Jacques Brault

Musical Directed by Eddie Carney

FINAL FOUR PERFORMANCES AUGUST 19, 20, 21, and 22,  2009

At the Parma Little Theatre

6285 W 54th Street, Parma, OH 44129

Doing The Lambeth Walk. Oi!

Mercury Summer Stock’s final 2009 production is the charming old-
fashioned Tony Award winning musical Me And My Girl, playing August
7th through the 22nd  at the Parma Little Theatre. Originally staged
in the West End in 1937, this long-running musical enjoyed very
successful revivals in both London and New York in the 1980s with the
likes of Tim Curry, Jim Dale, Robert Lindsay and Emma Thompson at the
helm. The show began with Lupino Lane, a dimunitive British stage
star of the 1920's and 1930's, who created a cockney character called
Bill Snibson in a 1935 musical farce called Twenty To One. The
character became so popular that Lane commissioned Rose, Furber and
Gay, to create a new adventure for Bill Snibson, in which he would go
nose-to-nose with the stuffed shirts of the British aristocracy. The
result was the hilarious Me And My Girl, which became such a
resounding hit that it ran for five years (twice nightly), despite
being bombed out of two theatres early in the War. The show-stopping
number, "The Lambeth Walk," was the subject of a news story in The
Times of October 1938: “While dictators rage and statesmen talk, all
Europe dances — to The Lambeth Walk.”  Other popular hit songs from
the show include “Leaning On A Lamp-post”, “Love Makes The World Go
‘Round”, “Once You Lose Your Heart”, and the title song, “Me And My
Girl.”

Portraying the scruffy, uncultured cockney lad Bill Snibson, who is
actually the illegitimate son of a nobleman and heir to a wealthy
lord-ship and estate, is MSS veteran Brian Marshall. Hester Lewellen
and John Fancher play his aristocratic family that demand he polish
up his manners and get rid of his working class girlfriend (Cleveland
theatre favorite Jennifer Myor) to really be eligible for full
inheritance. Come watch the hijinks when Aristocrats and Cockneys
become one family in a boisterous celebration of merrymaking and
unrestrained chaos that will have you cheering and singing along in
your seats! If there is one thing Me And My Girl promises, its plain
old-fashioned musical fun! Rated PG.

Tickets for Me And My Girl are available by calling the Mercury
Summer Stock box office at (216) 771-5862. Group discounts available.

At A Glance:

What: Mercury Summer Stock presents:  ME AND MY GIRL

When: August 19, 20, 21 & 22.  All performances at 7:30PM

Where: Parma Little Theatre (Adjacent to Parma Senior High) 6285 W.
54th, Parma OH 44129

Cost: $15.00 for Adults and $12.00 for Students (college and under) /
Seniors (60 and up)

For reservations and more information please call (216) 771-5862,
order online at TicketLeap.com, or visit our website at
www.mercurysummerstock.com.