[NEohioPAL] You Can't Go Holmes Again

Robert Hawkes rhhawkes at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 05:28:17 PST 2010

*Without a Clue* - indeed, a first-class entertainment, full of actual wit,
not just "really good explosions", which, I fear, are not on my list of
criteria for judging a film, at least not since I attained majority. I can't
"disagree" with people who have enjoyed this "Victorian *Batman*" - you
can't disagree with taste - it's just that explosions, gratuitous slo-mo,
explosions IN slo-mo, anachronistic one-liners ("Love what you've done with
the place"), and so on  - the arsenal of action flick clichés - just don't
move me to anything but trying to check my watch in the dark. If that floats
your boat, great. I guess I hoped there might be something more than that
there -and there really isn't. Should have stayed home and watched Jeremy
Brett. Or *Goldfinger*. And as for accuracy of period detail - a young woman
of Watson's fiancée's station showing off cleavage at dinner in 1880/90? I'm
pretty sure, from what I know of my grandma, that my great-grandma wouldn't
have done that.

I'll keep my money in my pocket until the new film by Michael Haneke, Bruno
Dumont, Coen Bros, Dardenne Bros, etc. - you know: something that will
actually engage my faculties. All of them.

Cheers and Happy New Year to all.

RHH