[NEohioPAL] looking for some feedback about workshops/seminar or classes for theatre sound

Richard B. Ingraham rbingraham at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 23 14:15:32 PST 2010

Many times over the years I've had conversations with friends and colleagues
about the idea of hosting and teaching workshops or seminars or even full
blown classes in theatre sound, sound design, and live audio mixing.  Being
a professional audio artist I'm always taken back by the lack of classes,
course work and other options available in the area for audio, especially
courses that focus on theatre sound and live sound.

I would be interested in anyone's ideas, feedback or other responses about
some of these basic questions and ideas I have below.

1.  Is there a reasonable sized audience/student base that is really looking
for training in the area of theatre sound and/or design?  Or is the main
reason we don't see more training options for this specific area simply lack
of demand?

2.  If there is demand...  at what age/grade levels?  High School, College,
Continuing Education?

3.  What levels of possible students might be interested in this type of
study?  Those looking to make a living in theatre sound design, Amateurs
that would like to just sharpen their skills, students looking to find out
if this is something they might be interested in as a career, all of the
above?

4.  If interested what types of subjects might be the most popular or sought
after?
Sound System Basics?
Sound Design - Cue Recording, Editing, Mixing, Construction?
Sound Design - Writing Cues, and Programming tools used in the venue?
Sound Design - Theory, Analysis, etc.
Live Sound Mixing?
Advanced Sound System set up and technique?
Wireless mics and all the fun that goes along with them?

5.  If there is interest, what venues to host this might one suggest?
Formal college or high school setting?
Set it up at local theatre?
Classroom only?

Obviously some of #5 depends a lot on what might be entailed in any possible
classes based on #4.

Any other comments, ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

You can just reply to this email address.

Thank you in advance,

Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com