[NEohioPAL] Mini-review: Hurt Locker

Robert Hawkes rhhawkes at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 08:23:53 PDT 2010

Good Lord, was this really the "best" we could do last year? Highly
improbable military procedure (if "users" at IMDB are to be believed), a
narrative structure resembling six TV episodes, an abandoned thesis, a vapid
and contrived ending. Sort of engaging as an action piece, I guess, but
going precisely nowhere with material that cries out for some moral comment.
I didn't notice the slow pace of which some have complained, but then I'm a
fan of Béla Tarr, so I guess I wouldn't. A thoroughly trivial entertainment,
in the final analysis. A bit fat "so what?" to this one.

Loved *The White Ribbon*, though. Now there's a film with some moral
gumption.