[NEohioPAL] Highschool and College Productions posted on YouTube

Dave Cotton deltachaz at oh.rr.com
Wed Mar 31 07:39:36 PDT 2010

You are absolutely correct.
   It is illegal to videotape any show without the express permission
of the authors of the script.  I did a quick check of MTI's website
and found this

Videotaping

Copyright law gives authors the exclusive right to control the
reproduction of their work. When MTI grants a license for a live
stage production of a show, that license does not include the right
to tape it because the authors retain the sole right to decide when
or if their work is recorded in any way. Even a videotape made for
classroom use, as a personal memento or as an archival school record
violates the authors’ separate right to reproduce their work. In many
cases, the authors have already granted such rights exclusively to
film or television companies, in which case you would also be
infringing upon the rights granted by the authors to a third party.
source:
http://www.mtishows.com/content.asp?id=2_4_0

It is also illegal to change ANYTHING in a script.

The language is pretty much the same for all licensing agencies...

I am aware of theaters that changed the script and then someone ran a
scene on the web and the theater got "bit" by both laws.

On Mar 30, 2010, at 11:13 PM, Ken Milota wrote:

> I've searched many musicals on YouTube and a lot of high school and
> colleges have certain scenes and songs posted from their live
> audience productions.   According to what I've been informed of,
> this is illegal and the producers of these productions can be fined.
>
> I was just wondering how so many of these videos are on there and
> have not been deleted and how so many schools and theatres were
> able to get away with this.   Can't they get fined and blacklisted
> for future shows with their playright company if someone were to
> report them?   Or would they be able to use the defense that they
> weren't aware of the taping and someone in the audience was doing
> it illegally?
>
> Ken Milota
>
> The Sweda Group, LLC.
> Real Estate Sales Agent
> Avon, Ohio
>
> Keller Williams Realty
> Real Estate Sales Agent
> Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
>
> www.RealtorKenneth.com
> www.myspace.com/avonlakerealestate
> www.activerain.com/realtorkenneth
> 440-781-1401
> Fax: 440-398-0236

> digest to one-at-a-time delivery or vice-versa, go on hiatus while
> out of town, switch from mime to plain text or vice-versa, etc.
> check out the FAQS at http://www.fredsternfeld.com.
> ______________________________________
> please consider a voluntary contribution to support Neohiopal -
> http://www.fredsternfeld.com/faqs.htm#support

Is god willing to prevent evil, but not able?
          Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
          Then he is malevolent.
Is god both able and willing?