[NEohioPAL] Preview of "Presenting Mark Twain" at Lakeland Community College

Bob Abelman r.abelman at adelphia.net
Mon Apr 5 14:32:52 PDT 2010

Rabbit Run, Lakeland 'Presenting Mark Twain'

Bob Abelman

News-Herald, Chagrin Valley Times, Solon Times, Geauga Times Courier

Member, International Association of Theatre Critics

This preview appeared in the News-Herald 4/5/10

Mark Twain is one of the most quoted humorists in American history.  His brash optimism and common-sense observations about the human condition, as expressed through his many newspaper stories, travelogues, essays, novels, and speeches during the late-1800s, have provided a treasure trove of clever quips, entertaining anecdotes, and sage counsel.

Twain himself was a master storyteller with a mischievous, laid-back Missourian manner and trademark appearance.

It is little wonder that he and his work have become the subjects of numerous one-man shows created by actors and literary historians.

The gold standard for these shows, Mark Twain Tonight, features award winning actor and Cleveland native Hal Holbrook.  Holbrook has been playing Mark Twain for 55 years, which is nearly as long as Mark Twain played Mark Twain.  He has performed his one-man show on tour and on the Broadway stage over 2100 times, including a short stint at PlayhouseSquare several years ago.

Close on his heels is Brint Learned, executive director of Rabbit Run Community Arts Association in Madison Township and Twain portrayer in his own original, one-man performance piece, Presenting Mark Twain!

Learned introduced Presenting Mark Twain! as part of last year's Rabbit Run Theater's summer season and is reprising the show in a special collaboration with Lakeland Community College.

"Lakeland has a long history of providing quality arts programming," said Learned.  "For Rabbit Run, this collaboration offers an opportunity to extend our theater season and to share our productions with a new audience.  Our mutual goal is to provide quality arts programs to the region."

Said Donald Killeen, dean of arts and humanities at the college, "Lakeland recognizes the importance of the arts in the economic revitalization of Lake County and surrounding communities. This partnership allows Lakeland and Rabbit Run to share talents and combine resources."

Presenting Mark Twain! includes selections from a number of Twain's speeches and his autobiography, as well as passages from several of his novels including Roughing It  and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.  The same basic structure as last year's production has been retained, but several short stories have been added to the mix.

"I am thrilled to be able to offer some of the wonderful amenities of the Performing Arts Center to such a grand theater organization," said Martin Friedman, articstic director of Lakeland Civit Theatre.  "Rabbit Run produces wonderful theater and this opportunity allows some of our students to work on a first-rate theatre production that is not directly related to Lakeland and adds a professional stage credit to their resumes."

"As we only offered the production for three performances last year," Learned added, "I have certainly enjoyed the opportunity to revisit the material."

With only three previous performances of Presenting Mark Twain!, Holbrook's record for portraying Twain is not in any immediate danger of being broken.   However, his reputation for offering the best Mark Twain one-man performance may very well be.

Details

What:     Presenting Mark Twain!

When:    Today through April 18 (Fridays and Saturdays, 8:00 p.m., Sunday

    Matinees, 2 p.m.)

Where:   Lakeland Civic Theatre, 7700 Clocktower Dr., Kirtland.

Tickets:  $10- $17

Info:         440-428-7092 or www.rabbitrunonline.org.