[NEohioPAL] Review: Cassidy's tick… tick… BOOM!

Shane Siniscalchi shanejs88 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 19:18:36 PDT 2010

Last Friday I had the privilege of going to the Cassidy Theatre in Parma
Heights to see their production of Jonathan Larson’s tick… tick… BOOM!
(TTB). First off, let me get the cheesy, yet true puns out of the way: the
cast was “dynamite”! The music was “explosive”! Over all, the show was “mind
blowing” and everything that a modern musical should be.

Before I talk about the specific show, I’d like to talk a 21-year-old that
very much enjoys musical theatre. I am very impressed that Cassidy was
willing to experiment with a modern, somewhat controversial show. It is
definitely a change from classical theatre like Music Man, but not a bad
change; a change that shows where the future of theatre is heading. I really
hope that this production encourages other theatres to break away from the
mold of conservative, safe shows and begin to stage shows that are a little
more edgy and geared for my generation. While this kind of show could be
seen as a gamble, if you want to see this type of show done in a very
tasteful manner, go see this production of TTB. While there may be some “F
bombs” dropped, it is done in a very tasteful manner and adds the element of
edginess that Larson wanted when he was writing the show based on his actual
life.

The production itself was wonderful due to the phenomenal, energetic cast. I
feel that every character was able to identify with their character and
really brought a sense of authenticity to the stage. Rick McGuigan, who
plays the lead, Jon, had a true connection with the audience as he narrated
his way through the story. His comedic timing and deliveries took the story
to another level. Andrew Parmalee played the supporting role of Michael, and
did a stellar job. His intricate acting choices and beautiful baritone notes
were brilliant. He moved me and most of the almost-sold-out audience every
time he was on stage. Susan DiDino who ironically played the role of Susan,
was able to hold her own against 2 strong leading men. He facial expressions
are wonderful and she is always 100% in the zone when on stage. I was
shocked to find out after the show that she performed the show with strep
throat. I would never have known something was wrong, which is the sign of a
great performer. The rest of the cast consisted of Lauren Merrick Blazer,
Kate Leigh Michalski, and Mark Robert Snyder. They had the tough job of
playing many characters each. At times, they had to switch roles without a
costume change and they acted each role out so specifically that it was
never confusing as to who they were playing. Siwtching accents and tones in
a beat’s time is not an easy task and they all accomplished it every time.
Their amazing voices also contributed to flawless harmonies every time the
whole cast sang together.  Another surprisingly wonderful moment was Lauren
belting out “Come to Your Senses”.

Each musical number, choreographed by the director, Kim Mihalik, was
uniquely staged according to the style of the song. It is always a challenge
to choreograph a musical that is not a “dance-heavy” show. You don’t want to
over-choreograph it, yet you don’t want the characters blandly standing
still while singing. While every number was very appropriately choreographed
and balanced, my favorites were “Sunday”, which is a tribute to Sondheim,
and the energy in the rock song “No More”.

Another amazing element was the rock orchestra behind the singers. Michael
Caraffi, the music director, not only taught his cast wonderful vocals, but
also put together a very sold and balanced pit band. With louder, rock shows
it is usually hard to get a good sound balance. Whoever was mixing the sound
deserves major kudos as the singers and band complemented each other
perfectly. There were several times that I got goosebumps by the power
chords that were being played and sang in front of me. This was best
achieved in the finale, “Louder Than Words”, and “Sunday”.

Overall, TTB is a wonderful example of what theatre should be evolving to.
Putting the show itself aside, the way that the all of the elements of a
good show were tied together should be a challenge to other community
theatre productions to raise the bar. The lighting was so beautiful and the
use of the scrim was at times chilling. Lights and sound can do so much in
taking a show to the next level and that was beautifully achieved. Also,
Kim’s direction was so detailed that some of the most powerful moments were
the things that were happening on stage that weren’t even the focus point.
Most directors do a good job constructing the big pictures of shows. But Kim
also focused on all the little pictures that exist in the background and the
actors handle that direction perfectly and continue to carry on the story in
a magical way.

This show really is a must-see. Me and my two friends had a blast and really
enjoyed it and what amazes me is that the older members of the audience also
enjoyed it. All in all, it was a great night of theatre. I would like to
close with a quote from an older woman to her friend as they were leaving
the show:  “I must say, I came in here expecting to hate it and I’m walking
out wanting to see it again. Those youngsters were great!”. And I completely
agree! For $10, I had a great time. Just say “Green Green Dress” and you
save $5 off your ticket. For ticket information, call (440) 842-4600.
Congrats cast and crew and thanks for giving me and my friends a powerful,
enjoyable night of theatre!

For more info, visit http://www.cassidytheatre.com

-Shane Joseph Siniscalchi