[NEohioPAL] Response to Roy Berko review of "Joseph"

Karen Martin dansgirl9065 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 22 12:22:50 PDT 2010

Perhaps Roy Berko should do a better job of listening to the words to the songs in "Joseph" before he complains about a director's lack of listening.  In his review, Berko states that Abraham met Joseph at the end...nope!  That is Jacob, his father, that he meets.  Your facts could be easily checked in the book of Genesis.  No wonder why we shouldn't base our opinions on the writers' reviews.

We are told Joseph’s coat is composed of over 30 different colors.  Well, Joseph’s cutaway is basically black with a few other colors, but definitely not “azure, and lemon and russet and gray.”  Nor, does it ever get “ripped up.”  In “Those Canaan Days” we see a delightful Charley Chaplin depiction of his balloon “shtick” (nicely done by Brian Marshall).  Cute, yes, but the song is about the brothers being so hungry that “no one comes to dinner now, we’d only eat them anyhow.”  Hmm?  Okay, so Joseph and his brothers finally reunite, supposedly after Joseph “hands them sacks of food” (oops, those are orange crates which easily reveal that he has “planted a cup in Young Benjamin’s sack.”   And, then there’s the big climax when “Joseph went to meet him [Abraham] in his chariot of gold.’  (Nope, Abraham walks over to Joseph.)  Am I being picky?  Probably, but words to songs are written for a purpose and
 must be
adhered to, especially in a show that is totally depended on the meanings of the words of the songs.