[NEohioPAL] Mercury's 'Joseph' - a different perspective

SAVvystars1 at aol.com SAVvystars1 at aol.com
Thu Jun 24 20:59:50 PDT 2010

I have been intrigued reading the comments about Mercury Summer Stock's
production of "Joseph" for a number of reasons, mostly because I was holding
tickets for tonight's production.   Now that I have seen it, I feel
compelled to add my own two cents...with a bit of a unique perspective.

First of all, like so many of you, I have seen "Joseph" more than a dozen
times...ranging from children's community theater to the 'Donny Osmond'
version  to performances at the National Theater in Washington, DC.  I happen
to love the music...so although the productions varied in talent level, they
all  were pretty much equally enjoyable to me.

Here's the unique perspective part -- I have long been an Andrew Lloyd
Webber fan, and I, as a working broadcast journalist, was fortunate enough  to
dine with Sir Andrew at the National Press Club in Washington more  than a
decade or so ago.  He was asked many questions about his  successes including
"Joseph" and the surprising (to him) longevity it has  had.  The one thing
that stuck with me was when he was asked about  variations of his creations
and whether he ever tired of seeing his shows in  performance.  With a
smile, he noted that he wished there was more  "creativity" out there...and loved
when he saw a new "twist" on something or  more "innovation" with existing
productions.

As I sat at the Brooks Theatre at the Cleveland Play House tonight watching
 the exceptional performance, I couldn't help but remember that
conversation.  My nine-year-old son who accompanied me to tonight's  performance
wouldn't know Mae West from Charlie Chaplin...but that didn't stop  him from
laughing heartily and understanding the story that he was still  reminiscing
about an hour after the car ride home.   He was perhaps  more intrigued by this
production because of the beautifully created  black and white costuming,
the complexities of the set, props and moving  camera, and the clever
interplay by all of the cast members  playing the narrators, rather than just
having a single storyteller.    And as far as the "balloon-popping"....it was his
favorite part...not just  because he's a child and likes balloons (he has
been on the stage since birth  and appreciates good theater!)...but because
of the 'new twist', the  'creativity', the 'innovation' of it all.  Sir
Andrew would be proud.

Go for any of the aforementioned items; go for the amazing choreography by
Director Pierre Jacques-Brault (how he is able to create such a visual
masterpiece on such a small stage boggles the mind); go for the music
re-created  so masterfully by this wonderfully talented and effervescent cast and
orchestra...just 'go, go, go see it'.....you'll leave with a smile on your
face.

I have no doubt Sir Andrew would too.

###

Staci Vincent