[NEohioPAL] A cute boxer/lab needs a family

Hester Lewellen hlewelle at bw.edu
Tue Nov 23 07:30:04 PST 2010

My friend, Kate, who seems to be a magnet for pets needing homes, has asked me to post this info about Toffee.  (The adorable kittens I posted for her have found homes.  YAY!)  Since NEOhioPAL doesn't allow pix, I suggest you email Kate directly to see Toffee, but I can attest she has a very cute, puppy-like face.  Kate's email is katharine.oconnell at gmail.com.

Toffee is a boxer/lab mix.  She has had all her shots, tested negative for heartworm, and been spayed.  She is estimated to be between 5 and 7 years old.  She was found, starving, in an East Cleveland park, and in a week went from being terrified of everyone and everything to being a happy, affectionate girl.  She loves to "work" on her commands and has mastered sit, come, stay, and heel in just a few days.  She started out having a strong reaction to other dogs, but has learned to take seeing them on her walks in stride.  She LOVES to go for walks and sniffs, and likes to ride in the car.

Because she has had a traumatic experience, and has a possible history of abuse, she needs a home where people are willing to give her a lot of positive attention, work with her on her fears, and take things slowly.  A professional dog trainer assessed her and said that she would do best in a quiet home, with no cats, and no young children (who can be unpredictable and scare her).  She gets along with some dogs, but not others, so adopters with a dog would have to introduce them carefully.  She would do best with someone who has had dogs before and understands how to work with them.

When in a calm environment, Toffee shines.  She loves to play and snuggle, and does some fun "boxer behaviors" like waving both her front feet to get more petting.  She becomes very attached to her people and gives lots of kisses when she's comfortable.  She is also a loyal protector of the house and family, and considers it part of her job to guard the house.  Her sweetness and happiness and willingness to learn commands make her a very special dog, and she needs only a little extra patience to become a new best friend to a lucky family.

Posted by Hester Lewellen (Mss Hannigan in the Willoughby Fine Arts "Annie"--Nov. 26 thru Dec. 19)