[NEohioPAL] Best staged readings

Borland, Joy Joy.Borland at tri-c.edu
Thu Dec 16 17:26:51 PST 2010

I'm forwarding this review of the staged readings that Brian Zoldessy directed at the Tri-C Eastern Campus Studio Theatre the first two weekends of December.    It came to us from an audience member.
Joy Borland

Dear Mr. Zoldessy,

Theater magic can strike when you least expect it.  Last weekend it struck 2 times in the Studio Theatre at Tri-C's Eastern Campus Theatre Department.

My wife and I attended back-to-back staged readings of "Heroes", translated by Tom Stoppard and "Red", by John Logan.  They were great.  We have never seen this type of reading before! The staged readings we have attended in the past often involved nothing more than minimally rehearsed actors standing in front of music stands, holding scripts.  Costumes and props, if they existed at all. were slight. These readings, under the tutelage of director Brian Zoldessy, were excellent. The word "staged" really applied here. Each production was a fully performed staged reading with simple scenery, props, costumes, physical movement, sound cues and music (wonderful selections by the way).

The results were very evident. The dedicated actors and their director achieved their specific goal: presenting new plays that emphasized the richness of the playwrights' language, while still creating the reality of the play, with actors still holding their scripts  In fact, at one point the scripts didn't matter.  They just became another prop.  The readings were visceral, powerful, and gripping.

Mr. Zoldessy should be applauded for continuing to provide us with these kinds of theatrical events!