[NEohioPAL] AUDITIONS - CATS - BECK CENTER YOUTH THEATER

Jonathan Kronenberger jkronenberger at beckcenter.org
Tue Jan 25 10:11:06 PST 2011

The Beck Center for the Arts Youth Theater, one of the oldest Children/Youth Theaters in the country, will be accepting audition appointments - starting February 5 - for our upcoming Youth Theater production of:

Cats

Music by Andrew Lloyd Webber
Based on Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. Eliot

Directed by Jonathan Kronenberger

Choreography by Devon Shriver and Melanie Szucs
Presented in collaboration with the Beck Center Dance Workshop

Audition/Callback Dates:
(open to all Beck Center Students ages 6 to 19*)
Auditions: Saturday, February 12: 2:00 to 6:00 pm
& Sunday, February 13: 1:00 to 5:00 pm

Starting February 5, you can sign up for a one-hour audition slot at Beck Center Customer Service

or by calling 216-521-2540 x10.

*Please note:

Participation in this production is only available to those who are registered in our Winter/Spring 2011 semester (either in Dance, Music, Theater or Visual Arts).  Our Winter/Spring 2011 semester begins Monday, January 31.

So if you are interested in auditioning, you will need to enroll prior to auditions.  Any questions, please feel free to contact the director at 216-521-2540 x27.

Our Winter/Spring catalog is available online at www.beckcenter.org<http://www.beckcenter.org> or stop by the Beck Center to pick up a catalog today.

What to Prepare:

Students are asked to prepare one (1) minute of a song selection that best shows off their voice and range.  Please bring a copy of the sheet music for the accompanist. Students will then participate in a dance audition so bring appropriate attire to "move" freely in.

Please bring your calendar so you may best list any and all conflicts you may have during the rehearsal period.

It is recommended that students be somewhat familiar with the songs of the show in advance of auditions.

Check your local library for a copy.

Potential Rehearsal Schedule:

Rehearsals: March 14  - May 7, 2011

Sundays through Fridays: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Saturdays: 2:30pm - 6:30pm
We will NOT be rehearsing seven days a week.  We will pick the weekdays that best accommodate everyone's schedules - once we know conflicts.  Similarly, rehearsals will be divided in such a manner so that our youngest cast members will rehearse no later than 7:30pm.  Older /Teen may be asked to stay until 9pm.

Tech Week:  May 8 - 12, 2010
Sunday from 1:00 - 9:00 and Weekdays 4:30-9:00

All cast members are required to attend ALL rehearsals during Tech Week. No conflicts accepted. As always the goal is to not need the full time session.

Performance dates:  May 13 - 21 2011
All cast members are required to attend all Performances!!
Fridays, May 13 and 20 at 7:30 pm
Saturdays, May 14 & 21 at 7:30 pm
Sunday, May 14 at 3:00 pm
Special Matinee: Saturday, May 21 at 3:00pm
Student Matinee: Thursday, May 19 at 10:00am
(NOTE: This will require missing school that morning.)

Cats was first performance at The New London Theatre, London May 11,1981 presented by Cameron Mackintosh and The Really Useful Theatre Co. Limited
Originally presented in America by The Shubert Organization, Cameron Mackintosh, The Really Useful Company and David Geffen
Original Broadway production Directed by Trevor Nunn
Associate Directed and Choreography by Gillian Lynne
Designed by John Napier
Orchestration by David Cullen and Andrew Lloyd Webber

Beck Center is located at 17801 Detroit Avenue in Lakewood, Ohio.  Beck Center for the Arts is a not-for-profit 501(c)3 organization that offers professional theater productions on two stages, arts education programming in dance, music, theater, visual arts, early childhood, and creative arts therapies for special needs students, and gallery exhibits featuring local and regional artists. For more information about the Beck Center, visit our website at www.beckcenter.org<http://www.beckcenter.org>.