[NEohioPAL] The Just1 Project: Help illustrate ATROCITY PARADE magazine

Michael A. Miller msrg-publications at cox.net
Thu Mar 24 16:37:51 PDT 2011

I'm recruiting artists to illustrate the prototype issue of my magazine, Atrocity Parade. It's the journal of record of Hatchetnap, Ohio, which a noirish nightmare loosely based on the geography, culture and character of Lakewood. Something is wrong with Hatchetnap. It affects the behavior of the populace who, in turn, fuel town's fundamental flaw, creating a perpetual cycle of social retardation. The writing style is a halfway between slipstream and bizarro.

Styles:
  a.. Sketch: A hybrid of penny dreadful-style/Edward Gorey/Children's illustration gone terribly wrong (like something that was meant to be cute but turned out creepy)
  b.. Reformation-era Woodcut
  c.. Sideshow poster:
    a.. Nieman Eisman
    b.. Snap Wyatt
    c.. Fred G. Johnson
In addition to illustration of my stories, I need three maps of Hatchetnap that reflect these looks:

Hundred-Acre Wood:   http://open.jorum.ac.uk/xmlui/bitstream/handle/123456789/748/Items/E301_1_006i.jpg
Here Be Dragons:        http://www.robnewman.com/mapbig.jpg
Colonial Era:               http://www.oldmarston-pc.gov.uk/Medieval_Map_Oxford_Marston_and_Headiington.jpg

The Deal:    Instead of recruiting a couple of artists to illustrate several stories, I'm asking several artists to produce one drawing each. The initial commitment would be for the artist to read the entire story he or she would be illustrating. (Stories range from 251 to 15,000+ words.) After that, if an artist is interested in doing more, we could talk about it.

The Perks:
  a.. This is a high-profile project. It would include full acknowledgement wherever your work appears in conjunction with Atrocity Parade and a link to any portfolio or website you have online. Further, anytime I promote Atrocity Parade, I'd be sure that your name is conspicuous in conjunction with your work.
  b.. When the prototype issue makes it to print, the work you've done for the online edition would appear in print with conspicuous acknowledgement. The benefit here is, I'll be shopping the prototype issue around to fund a run of bimonthly issues or a couple of compilation volumes. Every time a I show Atrocity Parade to a potential revenue source, I'll also be exhibiting your work.
  c.. One funding initiative is Kickstarter. The more an artist can produce for me to give to contributors as rewards, the more likely the artist is to share in a portion of the funding. I have other funding initiatives in play, as well. I intend to set aside a portion of any funding to compensate artists and designers.
Not having a budget has been a barrier to getting the Atrocity Parade prototype illustrated. I'm hoping it will be easier for artists to consider contributing one work each than for a couple of artists to commit large quantities of time and effort. If an artist wants to participate but won't contribute one drawing without compensation, I could eventually scrape together a small stipend for time invested and a prorated amount for supplies used. This is all negotiable.

Check it out:
  a.. SacramentOfHeresy.WordPress.com (excerpts from and fun facts about each story; instructions how to access the prototype issue on Amazon & Barnes & Noble)
  b.. Amazon and Barnes&Noble keyword: "Atrocity Parade"
  c.. Twitter @tiny_emperor
Contact:
  a.. msrg-publications at cox.net
  b.. 216.389.6784, Anytime after 3:00 p.m. M-F, anytime on weekends
Sincerely,

Michael A. Miller, Publisher
Atrocity Parade ©