[NEohioPAL] Entertainment Attorney introduction

Mary Ellen Tomazic metomazic at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 09:11:56 PDT 2011

Entertainment Attorney Profile – Mary Ellen Tomazic

        Over the last 26 years I have worked with many bands, singers,
filmmakers and artists, helping them with their legal questions from
copyright, trademark and other intellectual property issues, to contracts
and business organization. As a licensed attorney in Ohio I have used my
legal training and experience to assist creative people in navigating
through laws and regulations pertaining to their projects, often on a pro
bono basis. I have negotiated and reviewed record company contracts for
bands such as Death of Samantha, Purgatory, Toehead, Mushroomhead, The Dark,
The Guns, Knifedance and Dead Federation. Filmmaker Johnny Wu and artist
Scott Radke have also benefited from my work with their contracts and
releases. I am currently the attorney for Tom Dark and his record label Red
Hour Records, and recently negotiated and drafted a contract for the
rerelease by SmogVeil Records of The New Hope Complilation, originally
released in 1983, which was expanded into a double vinyl album with
downloads.

       I have been a featured speaker at the annual Indiegathering
filmmakers convention in Cleveland since 2005, with talks on a variety of
legal topics, including copyrights, trademarks, contracts, liability and
business organizations such as partnerships, LLCs, and corporations.

       I hope to expand my involvement with the filmmakers and musical
groups, writing and publishing articles on legal topics of interest to
filmmakers and other creative people. My first article entitled "Legally
Obtaining Music for Your Film" was posted on the Cleveland Indieclub website
on Friday, April 15, 2011. It is the first installment of a series of
articles on that topic, and I plan to post that article on the NEOPAL site
as well. The second installment of "Legally Obtaining Music for Your Film"
will be posted on Friday April 22, 2011 on both sites.