[NEohioPAL] Oikos Ensemble "Improvisational Intersections" Saturday April 30th at TrueNorth

True North Cultural Arts truenorthculturalarts at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 09:09:31 PDT 2011

The Oîkos Ensemble, a nationally acclaimed jazz group led by Cleveland
area saxophonist, Clifford Aerie, will offer an evening of jazz and
storytelling at TrueNorth Cultural Arts Center on April 30 at 7:30
p.m. Oîkos' music is based on multicultural themes and experiences
expressed through the lens of jazz improvisation. In performance,
Aerie complements the ensemble's original compositions with real-life
stories connecting audiences to their neighbors throughout the global
village. The ensemble's concerts emphasize the impact that everyone
has to literally change the world.

Tickets are $12.50 presale and $15.00 the day of the show, and can be
purchased online or by calling (440) 949-5200.

"Our music paints imaginative soundscapes with the brushstroke of jazz
improvisation affirming the truth that, no matter how diverse we seem,
we are united by our global kinship," says Aerie, who is also a United
Church of Christ minister. Engaged in creative ministry for more than
thirty years, he uses music, drama, the arts and media to explore new
possibilities for interfaith spiritual renewal. "Jazz, America's
original art form, is a creative way to break down barriers between
people," states Aerie. "Spirituality and improvisational exploration
are not only at the core of jazz, but at the very heart of human
interplay in the global village."

The Oîkos Ensemble is a consortium of gifted musicians built around
the duo of Aerie and his colleague for more than twenty years, Dr.
Christopher Bakriges, a pianist, composer, ethnomusicologist and
educator. Performing around the country as a quintet they invite
nationally known jazz artists from the area to round out the band.
Performing with them in Cleveland are bassist Glenn Holmes, drummer
Ricky Exton and vocalist Angela Lynard.

Their concert at TrueNorth Cultural Arts Center will illuminate the
creative crossroads we all encounter on life's journey. Each
intersection holds a story, every encounter offers an opportunity,
every fork in the road becomes the next step on a journey. "Just
imagine," says Aerie, "what a peaceful world this would be if we
offered a song instead of a closed mind when encountering a stranger
at an intersection."

We Want to Hear from You!
TrueNorth is doing a survey and we need feedback. Have you ever been a
patron of TrueNorth? Please take a couple of minutes to fill out our
online survey located here. This information is used to to keep
bringing you great programs in theatre and the arts. We thank you for
your support!