[NEohioPAL] newsletter

North Canton Playhouse ncplayhouse at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 4 08:59:56 PDT 2011

Hello Theatre Friends!!  Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!! to all who showed
your support by voting for us as "Best Performance Art Group" for  Best of Stark

!   We are excited to get the results and will let you all know when we do!!
*** Please notice our audition information at the bottom of this page!!  We have

some really great opportunities coming up!!

We Have 2 exciting Shows OPENING This Weekend!!

OPENING FRIDAY MAY 6th:

The    5th Annual
FROM    SCRIPT TO YOU: NEWS WORKS FESTIVAL
featuring six new plays from rising    playwrights

Performances at The North Canton    Playhouse's
McManaway Studio

SIX    PERFORMANCES
May 6 –    May 14
Fridays and    Saturdays at 8:00 PM
Thursday,    May 12 at 8:00 PM
Sunday    Matinee, May 8 at 2:30 PM Happy Mom's    day!

TICKETS:   330-494-1613     Reserve    Today!
Seating    Limited – 50 seats only!
General    Admission:  $10
Students:  2 for 1    ($5 each) with valid ID
Reserve your seats on or    before May 1st and receive $1.50 off each adult
ticket

THE PLAYS AND    ARTISTS

MUSEUM    PIECE by William Fowkes – New York, NY
Fast-Paced Art Comedy
In    this fun, comedic tale, three strangers are brought together by one
disruptive    incident at the Museum of Modern Art.

DIRECTOR: Jeremy Lewis
CAST:             Nate Ross
                        Michael Burkhardt
                        Zach Bake

CLOWN    THERAPYby Nina Mansfield –    Greenwich, CT

Off-Beat Comedy
A newly married couple seeks marriage    council when the wife discovers that
her husband is not really a clown, but    only a man that dresses as one.

DIRECTOR: Cassey Martin
CAST:             Christina Trompower
                        Stacey Essex
                        David Burhhardt

PERFECT    STRANGERS by Peter Snoad – Jamaica Plain, MA
Light Intimate    Drama
A man climbs a mountain in search of peace and quiet. Instead, he    meets an
engaging woman who convinces him to make an unusual    commitment.

DIRECTOR: Moriah Ophardt
CAST:             Chris Saling
                        Tawny Burkhardt

BREEDERS by Kevin Aremento
Political Comedy – adult language
In front of a puppy    store, a young woman protesting “puppy mills” meets a dog

on its smoke    break!

DIRECTOR:  Co-Director by ensemble Moriah Ophardt and Krystian Bender
CAST:             Moriah Ophardt
                        Krystian Bender

THREE HOUR    DIFFERENCEby Mike Poblete – New    York, NY
Comedic Drama
A guy and a girl, once a couple and now in    different time zones, just can't
stop thinking about each other while with    their new dates.

DIRECTOR: Co-Directed in ensemble by Jeremy Lewis and Cassey Martin
CAST:             Jeremy Lewis
                        Cassey Martin

SMOKERSCREEN by Esta Fischer – Jamaica, NY
Comedic Drama
A couple,    dating for six months, meeting on their six-month anniversary of
not smoking    together, end up calling it quiets... for their relationship!

DIRECTOR: Cassey Martin
CAST:             Stacey Essex
                        Bodhi Martin

PRODUCTION    STAFF

Festival Producing    Artistic Director:  Jeremy Lewis
NCP Artistic Director:    Mary McManaway
OPENING SAT. MAY 7th:

        " Dearly Departed" directed by Mary McManaway,  is a comedy dinner
theatre that will be at The Fieldcrest of North Canton  Sat. May 7th at 6pm and
Sun. May    8th at 5pm.Yep thats Mom's day!!!  Bring Mom out for Mothers Day
and

treat her to some laughs and a delicious dinner buffet!!   Along with Ted
Paynter, Ginger Dougan, Marci Sailing and lots more of your theatre
friends!!     For reservations for this show please call 330-966-2222.
     THE    STORY: In the Baptist backwoods of the Bible Belt, the beleaguered
Turpin    family proves that living and dying in the South are seldom tidy and
always    hilarious. Despite their earnest efforts to pull themselves together
for their    father's funeral, the Turpin's other problems keep overshadowing
the solemn    occasion: Firstborn Ray-Bud drinks himself silly as the funeral
bills mount;    Junior, the younger son, is juggling financial ruin, a pack of
no-neck monster    kids, and a wife who suspects him of infidelity in the family

car; their    spinster sister, Delightful, copes with death as she does life, by

devouring    junk food; and all the neighbors add more than two cents. As the
situation    becomes fraught with mishap, Ray-Bud says to his long-suffering
wife, "When I    die, don't tell nobody. Just bury me in the backyard and tell
everybody I left    you." Amidst the chaos, the Turpins turn for comfort to
their friends and    neighbors, an eccentric community of misfits who just
manage to pull together    and help each other through their hours of need, and
finally, the funeral.

And  Coming Soon:

           " LES    MISERABLES"   directed by Brenton Cochran.   On the
Mainstage
     Show dates and times... Thurs. and Fri. May    19th and 20th at 7:30 and
Sun. 21st at 2:30. Thurs. and Fri. May 26th and 27th    at 7:30 and Sat and Sun.

May 28th and 29th at 2:30. Thurs. and Fri. June 2nd    and 3rd at 7:30 and Sat.
June 4th at 2:30 and 7:30.
** You'll want to    reserve early for this production!! Seats will fill up
fast!

    STORY:  Broadway’s legendary musical has been specially adapted to meet the

needs of young performers. This author-approved edition has been abridged to a

running time of just over two hours, while carefully maintaining the integrity

of one the greatest musicals ever written.

This epic story recounts the    struggle against adversity in 19th century
France. Imprisoned for stealing a    loaf of bread, petty thief Jean    Valjean
is released from his 19-year term and not only becomes and    honest man, but
the mayor of a prosperous town and a loving adoptive father -    violating his
parole in the process. The relentless Inspector Javert, who    makes a decent
life for Valjean impossible, consequently pursues him. Only    years later,
after Valjean proves his mettle during a bloody student uprising    and saves
the life of a young man hopelessly in love with Valjean’s adopted    daughter,
does the ex-convict finally feel fully redeemed.

Where:
The North Canton Playhouse Mainstage

      UPCOMING    AUDITIONS:

     "The Children's    Hour"

Where:
The North Canton    Playhouse
525 7th Street NE, North Canton,    Ohio 44720

Performance    Dates:
Friday – Sunday ,    September 16th  – 25th

Audition    Date:
Sunday May    15th, 6:00PM
·       If you are unable    to attend at this date/time, please contact me to
schedule an alternative    audition date. J

Auditions for    Who?
·          This audition is    for GIRLS age 10-14 ONLY. The adult portion of
the show is PRE-CAST.

·          5-7 Girls will be    cast

What will the    audition consist of?

·       Cold    Read
·          You will be placed    into groups and asked to do a cold read from
the script
·          These selections    are not available prior to auditions

·       Chemistry    Exercise
·          You will be placed    into groups and asked to perform a task as a
group
·          This exercise will    be to see you interacting on stage as part of a

team, chemistry is very    important to me. :)

           Parent Discussion
At    l    At least one parent must stay at the audition.

When and where    will the cast list be posted?
·       The cast list will    be posted no later then Wednesday, May 18th but
may be posted    early. :)
·       It will be posted    to the website at www.northcantonplayhouse.com ,

under News & Events page as a news release
·       Or you may call    into the office at 330-494-1613 during office hours
·       You must e-mail me    at marci at northcantonplayhouse.com by Friday May
20th to accept your    part

Rehearsal Schedule    (Approximate):
                May:                       Read Thru – Sunday 5/22 at  6PM

                   July:                        Two Days a week, TBD at Read
Thru based upon cast schedules    7-10pm
·          Girls will not    need to stay past 9 in most cases

               August:                   Sunday – Thursday from 7  -    10PM

·          Cast Marketing Day    on Saturday August 13th from 10AM – 2 PM,
mandatory
·          Girls will not    have to be at every rehearsal, and will try to be
sent home before 9pm

               September:             Sunday – Thursday from 7 – ?
·          Sunday, September    11th is a double tech rehearsal from 2PM - ? and

it is    required
·          There will be    other Mandatory Marketing Days
·          Rehearsals may run    late in September and girls will not be excused

early

Rehearsal    Conflicts:
·       It is ok if you    have conflicts but please write them on your
rehearsal schedule
·       There will be no    more then 2 allowances for rehearsals NOT LISTED AS
CONFLICTS on your audition    form
·       No conflicts with    tech week are accepted

Production    Fee:
·       In order to    participate in this production, every cast member will be

required    to:
·          Pay a $20    production fee
·          AND sell 10    tickets to the show with reservations and money turned

in by August  31st

Adult Content    Disclaimer:
·       This show does    involve adult language and content and there will be
some music included that    also is of that nature. Please be aware of this and
a parent will have to be    aware of and sign a consent form if you are case.

·       If you have any    questions about the subject matter of the show,
please call Marci. It isn’t    that I am trying to scare you, the content is not

explicit, it is just    important to understand that it is not a youth show and
is emotional. It is    highly recommended that you read the synopsis if the show

prior to allowing    your daughter to audition. It is an adult show that
includes    children.

Why you should    audition / encourage your daughter to audition:
·       This show is a    message show that speaks to truth, religion, love, and

many more issues.    Everyone can find a piece of beauty and truth in this show
that speaks    directly to them.

·       This will be a    challenging piece of theatre, something to push your
limits as actress in an    Adult show
·       And because you    have passion for theatre
·       And Because the    rumors of me being a difficult director aren’t
true…well maybe they are…but    also listen to the rumors about it being worth
it even if I am difficult :)

My Contact    Information:
Marci Lynn Saling, Marci at northcantonplayhouse.com,    330-814-1661

ALSO:

Bye Bye Birdie auditions will be May 22nd at 7:00pm on the main stage!!
Lisa Paynter director  :)

AND:
     Monday May 23rd at 6:00pm is the date set for auditions for SPOTLIGHT ON
YOUTH REPERTORY COMPANY of the North Canton Playhouse. Auditions  will be held
at our    Youth Theatre at 1210 South Main st ( next to A Time to Dance Studio)
Needed are actors and actresses age 14 - adult who are able to pass as
teenagers.

Performances are held during the school day throughout Stark and Summit counties

and actors are compensated.

       ** Spotlight on Youth works to promote and increase    the health, safety

and well-being of youth. Using dramatic presentations and    showing real life
situations, Spotlight educates students about social issues    and dangers
effecting their lives and works to decrease violence, substance    abuse and
other issues facing them.

Rehear        For more information call Era Lynn Tripp 330-494-3423

Looking for something to do BEFORE the weekend??? CHECK THIS OUT!!!

3rd Annual Taste of North Canton
Sponsored by New Work City Foundation to create jobs

Thursday, May 5

5 pm to 7:30  pm
at
Fairways at Arrowhead
1500 Rogwin Circle SW, North Canton

Samples provided by over 20 restaurants! (See Vendor List below)

Live Music by The Brighter Side (2011 Battle of the Bands winner!)

50/50 and Grand Prize Raffle Drawing worth over $400 in gift  certificates!

All proceeds are offered to a business or organization in the form of a
matching grant to hire somebody. If your company or organization is interested
in applying for a New Work City Foundation grant,
visit www.NewWorkCityFoundation.org

This is a great event and fun for the whole family! Hope to see you  there.
Vicki Stanley
New Work City  Foundation
www.NewWorkCityFoundation.org
(330-323-5745

Participating Vendors:
Acme Fresh Foods
B.A.M. Healthy Cuisine
Beysley's
Bill & Mary's Creative Catering
BJ's
Cafe 1320
Cheese n Crackers Deli
Chik-fil-A
4 Cookie Divas
Demico's
Diguardio's Italian Foods
Ermano's Legendary Pizza
Fairways at Arrowhead
Fieldcrest
Grinder's Above and Beyond
Hometown Chocolates
Main Street Grille
Mama Guzzardi's
Sheetz
Tastefully Simple
Weight No More

    Have a super week and we hope to see you at our performances this
weekend!!!   We appreciate your support!

                 Thank You once again to all of our generous supporters!! Please

remember to    continue to support the Arts!!

               North Canton Playhouse is a non profit charitable 501c3
organization    and has been since l976

Delorna Toy
Office Administrator
North Canton Playhouse