[NEohioPAL] Auditions (Paid Gig): TrueNorth presents "Big River" directed by Patrick Ciamacco

True North Cultural Arts truenorthculturalarts at gmail.com
Thu May 12 08:40:31 PDT 2011

Big River
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

With book by William Hauptman and music and lyrics by Roger Miller,
Big River re-envisions Mark Twain’s classic 1884 novel, The Adventures
of Huckleberry Finn.   The musical follows the journey of the lovable
vagabond, Huckleberry Finn, as he flees from Southern
“respectability,” and, chronicles his attempts to help a runaway slave
by the name of Jim head North to achieve his liberty.  Big River: The
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn combines Mark Twain’s unflinching
portrayal of the antebellum South and slavery with bluegrass and
country music styles to bring the Southern setting alive and make
Twain’s critical look at racism even more poignant today.  The
Broadway production of Big River ran for over 1000 performances and it
remained a truly American voice in an emerging chorus of British
musicals of the late 1980s.

Director's Notes: While there are a few larger roles (Huck and Jim),
this is a true ensemble musical. Most actors cast will play a minimum
of two roles. I am looking for actors of all types, ages and race. I
have provided a small summary of some roles below. There are many
more. I am especially seeking 3 male and 2 female African American
performers with strong singing voices.

*All actors cast will receive a small stipend for their time and
commitment.

Audition Dates: Tuesday, May 17th or Wednesday, May 18th at 7:00pm
                        (If you are unable to make these audition
dates, please contact the director for other options)

What to prepare: 32 bars or one minute vocal selection, with sheet
music, and be prepared to read from the script. An accompanist will be
provided.
                           (Head shots and resumes are welcomed but
not required.)

Audition Location:          TrueNorth at French Creek
                                                 4530 Colorado Avenue
                                                 Sheffield Village,
Ohio  44054

Rehearsals: Begin after Memorial Day. Monday-Thursday nights
                   (possible addition of Sunday rehearsals depending
on actor conflicts)

Production Dates: July 15th - July 31st
                              Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 7:30.
Sundays at 3:00pm

Theater Website:            www.metroparks.cc/truenorth.php
                                                 www.TNCArts.org

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. I look forward to
seeing you at auditions!

Sincerely,

Patrick Ciamacco, Director
Heidi Herczeg, Musical Director
Doumont3 at gmail.com
216-702-1973

Character Breakdown

Huckleberry Finn (Baritone - A2 to E4, 14 - 16)
A rough and tumble near-orphan who was taken in and "civilized" by
Widow Douglas. Prefers freedom to domestic life.

Widow Douglas (50 - 70)
a strict but loving woman who takes Huck in and raises him

Aunt Sally/Miss Watson (Soprano B2 to G4, 40 - 60)
Widow Douglas' friend. A strict and traditional woman that helps to
raise Huck.

Jim (Bass/Baritone B1 to E4, 30 - 45)
Widow Douglas' slave. He is desperate to be free so he can buy back
his wife and children.

The Duke (Tenor E3 to A4, Comic Role, 35 - 55)
a broken down actor turned con artist - conniving. Requires an
excellent actor.

Tom Sawyer (Tenor(E3 to G?4, 14 - 16)
Huck's friend. Clever, but often overly dramatic.

Ben, Hank, Jo Harper (14)
Tom & Huck's schoolmates

Pap Finn ( Baritone D2 to G4, 38 - 50)
            Huck's no-good alcoholic father who abandoned him some
time ago. Returns to collect on Huck's trust fund.

The King (Baritone C2 to D4, 35 - 55)
an escaped convict and con artist

Mary Jane Wilkes (Mezzo B2 to E4, 14 - 21)
The grieving and pretty eldest girl of the wealthy Peter Wilkes, who
recently passed away.

Judge (45 - 65)
A man with high respect for the letter of the law.

Young Fool (Tenor D3 to E4, 16 - 25)
A young man who just loves to gossip.

Wilkes, Silas

Mark Twain, Doctor

Chorus and Smaller Roles: 3 Females and  5 Males that will play some
of the above roles and more. All must sing.