[NEohioPAL] The Salem Youth Chorus

Jon Simsic jon_simsic at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 20:39:04 PDT 2011

The Salem Youth Chorus, Jon Simsic, Music Director, presents

Let Us Go Rejoicing!

The program features sacred choral music spanning 10 centuries from plain chant
to a complete performance of Chichester Psalms by Leonard Bernstein as well as
favorites by Stanford, Parry, Finzi, Tavener, Rutter and others.

Saturday, May 21st at 7:30pm
First Christian Church
1151 E. 6th St.
Salem, 44460

Sunday, May 22nd at 7:00pm
St. Brendan's Catholic Church
2800 Oakwood Dr.
Youngstown, 44509
A free will offering will be received to benefit the ensemble's music education
fund and annual summer performance tour. This summer, the ensemble performs at
Cathedrals in PA, NY and Toronto, Canada.
The Salem Youth Chorus was founded in 2007 in order to provide teens in the
greater Salem, OH area with the opportunity to sing great choral music as
crafted by the compositional masters. The current ensemble has 20 members, ages
14-19. Our music program proudly attracts young persons from communities
throughout Columbiana and Mahoning counties. In addition to our local concerts
and as part of our 2008 summer tour, the Salem Youth Chorus sang a concert at
BrutonParishChurch in Colonial Williamsburg, VA and then sang Choral Evensong at
The Washington National Cathedral in DC. In July of 2009, we traveled to NYC and
sang at The Cathedral of St. John the Divine. The SYC was the guest choir for
the 2010 and 2011 Boar’s Head and Yule Log Festival at St. John’s Episcopal
Church in Youngstown and will return for the 2012 Festival. We have released
three CD’s, Morning Has Broken, Evening Reflections and A Festival of Lessons
and Carols, Christmas CD. The ensemble was a prizewinner in the 2010 national
music competition, The American Prize. In August of 2010, the SYC traveled to
Cathedrals in England, Ireland and Wales for concerts and Choral Evensong.

For further information about these concerts, our music program or to become a
member of The Salem Youth Chorus, please call 330.718.2329.