[NEohioPAL] Talent Needed for Instructional Video Taping July 6, 7 or possibly July 11

Aaron Collier pettrucci4life at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 29 09:18:18 PDT 2011

I'm glad some artists are saying something about this. It's an important conversation to have. Maybe something to add to this discussion:

When I moved to the Cleveland area a couple of years ago and started doing stage and film work,  A number of people in the theater community urged me to "Never get your equity card in Cleveland, you'll never "work". First of all, it's not really "work" when it's entirely for free. By doing this you're saying that training, effort, and talent is not worth compensating. Secondly, this type of culture adds to the dangerous reality that Marc and Mark are talking about. I understand the difficulties of making a living as an artist. I also understand the demands and constraints of the theater.

 If an artist chooses to create or participate in a project without being compensated for artistic, professional, or academic reasons, So be it.  However, for any "professional" company media or theater to solicite for an "unpaid gig" is ridiculous. I really think it's important for artists in this region to start talking about this because it speaks directly to self worth. Do you think that your art matters? Do you think you don't deserve to be compensated for that art? Do you think that only artists in certain cities or markets derserve to be compensated? I think these are questions worth investigating.

Cheers,

Aaron Calafato
Actor/Writer/Teaching Artist
calafato.aaron at gmail.com