[NEohioPAL] This Title was Improvised, FUNdraiser (Bring Money, Get Laughs), Good V.S. The Pillowman, Family-Friendly FREAK Show, Discrimination Workshop, Donations NEEDED!

Heads Up Productions info at headsupproductions.net
Mon Jul 11 21:00:55 PDT 2011

This Title was Improvised

The newest episode of Heads Up Arts Radio is up!

HUAR is a weekly internet radio show, highlighting guests from the
arts community of Northeast Ohio.

Episode 6: This Title Was Improvised

"...It's cheaper than therapy."

Hosts Amy Spencer and Brian Jackson discuss "Improv" with special
guests, Point of No Return (PNR) Improv members, Joel Kirk and Susan
Stofka
Susan has been with PNR since The Beginning
And Joel likes rocks
PNR has a benefit show this Saturday, July 16th, for Heads Up
Productions at 7:30pm at the Quirk Cultural Center (Cuyahoga Falls,
Ohio)
Know your audience and your cast members
The art of "pimping" your fellow actors
Joel's favorite improv games are "blind" games
Susan hates them, so come, come to the show and tell them you want to
see Susan play a blind game!
Playing scenes in different ways: PNR's versus Heads Up's style
Joel started improv in San Francisco 13 years ago and liked it
immediately
While Susan had no intentions of ever doing improv: ANTIC "1984" cast
mates kidnapped her and eventually formed PNR
PNR is a melting pot of personalities; you will never see a more
motley crew
Brian performs a brief improvisation based on Susan's artistic direction
PNR's having a free improv workshop in August: See the website for
more information (below)
They love audience participation, so come have fun with the PNR members
Brief self-promo insert: Please donate so we can have space to perform
in, can improve our podcast, and improve our lives with art
Dreaming out: Nightmare on Elm Street the Musical
Live improvised song of "Do-Run-Run"
The golden rule of improv: "Yes. And…" ("No" does not exist)
Summer Series Promo: this month's theme is "Imaginarium" July 15th,
and 22nd at 6pm in Highland Square (Akron, Ohio)
Doing improv with a group is tapping into your inner child, playing
with your imagination, and growing together as a family
It can sometimes make one too uninhibited in "real life" and might get
you into trouble, but it can also give you invaluable skills such as
confidence, being quick on your feet, and being yourself
Getting to know Heads Up company member, Brian Jackson
And now Susan will be imitating Brian at the next PNR show
PNR is a traveling company: if there are benefits or charities you'd
like them to perform at, please contact them through their website www.pnrimprov.com
  or facebook page www.facebook.com/pnrimprov
Upcoming Full-Length Play: The Pillowman August 4-7. Tickets are $5.
You can't beat that price for theater this good.
Donate!
We are now on iTunes!  Search “Heads Up Arts Radio” in the iTunes
store. Subscribe!
Theme Song by Amy Spencer and Sharon Pritt

Check out www.headsupproductions.net/huar to listen.

We are now on iTunes. Search "Heads Up Arts Radio" on iTunes to
subscribe!

Point of No Return Improv
is Hosting a Fundraiser for
Heads Up Productions

Saturday, July 16 · 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm

Quirk Cultural Center
1201 Grant Avenue
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

For $5 (or pay-what-you-can) get a night of "Whose Line is it Anyway"-
style comedy and support the COOLEST theatre company in Akron.

(Bring Money, Get Laughs)

Call 330.990.5138 for more information!

Good V.S. The Pillowman

A NEW blog post by Company Member Antonia Villalon about Heads Up
Productions' work on The Pillowman by Martin McDonagh.

Heads Up Productions' is using a new rehearsal method to bring to life
this dark, comedic tale of art and child murder.

There is one particular question I find myself struggling with– no
matter what I think I know or what conclusions I have drawn– it always
comes back.

  Is anyone a truly good person? ...

Continue reading about the company's process at www.headsupproductions.net

Free, Family-Friendly Freak Show

The Market Path in Highland Square (next to Chipotle) is hosting Heads
Up Productions’ Summer Series, a cycle of hour-long performances
devised by Heads Up company members. Each month from June-August will
feature a new program consisting of a collection of short,
interrelated pieces created by the actors. The Summer Series will
takes place on the patio outside of The Market Path.

Come on out to Highland Square for some fun, free, and family-friendly
street theatre! The second program entitled 'Imaginarium' will be held
on Friday, July 15th at 6pm and Friday, July 22nd at 6pm, weather
permitting. Admission is free though there is a $5 suggested donation.

Feel free to watch some ridiculous performing, walk through and buy
some trinkets from across the world at Market Path, and then finish it
off with a meal from a nearby restaurant after the show-a warm summer
night of family fun!

July's performances dives in to the idea of imagination, a theme which
pervades theatre and the upcoming production Mr. Marmalade. Experience
the Heads Up inspired 'freak show' including a mystic, a dog-boy, and
conjoined twins among others!

The Ensemble:

TJ Jozsa from Stow, Ohio
Margaret Lute from Akron, Ohio
Brian O Jackson from Akron, Ohio
Nick Kannel from Akron, Ohio
Greg Grimes from Tallmadge, Ohio
Kim Woodworth from Aurora, Ohio

The Market Path is a mission and ministry of First Grace United Church
of Christ in Akron, Ohio. Eager to be a unique, welcoming presence in
the Highland Square community, The Market Path has provided a place to
promote social justice, honesty and integrity in the local retail
market. They are committed to offering fairly traded quality products,
handmade by world and local artisans and local farmers.

Discrimination Workshop

Heads Up Productions has devised a workshop to teach participants
about discrimination and prejudice firsthand.  The crux of the
workshop is an hour-long role play where Students are divided into
groups where, unbeknownst to them, the group is assigned a minority/
majority social status (i.e. Caucasian, African-American, LGBT, Women,
etc.).  These groups, in no way, are designed to reflect the students’
actual minority/majority status.  Each group is given a limited set of
resources (based on their status) and are given the task of building a
community.  (i.e. the Caucasian group starts with the most resources,
African-Americans start with less, etc.)  They are told that this is a
competition to see who can build the best community.
Heads Up Company Members act as various authority figures who treat
the participants according to stereotypes based on their assigned
social status.  For example, someone from the African-American group
approaches the building authority with a building permit might get
denied because of “improper” English on the form.  The women’s group
might get denied building supplies because they don’t look strong
enough to build a community.

The point of the exercise is not to actually build the city, but to
help the participants internalize the impact of stereotypes and
discrimination.

Participants who have, in many cases, never been part of any
underrepresented group are asked to take on such a role. The
oppressiveness of the simulated activity soon becomes an emotionally
frustrating experience for participants, who get very involved in the
activity. The simulation serves as instrumental ground work for the
discussion that follows.

Total, the workshop runs 3 hours and can include up to 200 participants.

This workshop is designed for participants in middle school and
older.  This workshop can be held as part of a school, work or
community function.  Please email info at headsupproductions.net for
inquiries.

DONATIONS NEEDED

Heads Up Productions is trying to make a difference in Akron and
Northeast Ohio.  If you believe in our mission, listen to our podcast,
read our website or have seen one of our free shows- please donate so
we continue to offer top quality work at the lowest possible price.

If you help us reach our goal of $500 to help fund the next
production, we will dance for you.  (Donate to find out exactly what I
mean.)

headsupproductions.net/donate