[NEohioPAL] Brecksville Little Theater Presents "Our Town"

Margaret Berke l8niter at aol.com
Sat Mar 10 05:56:16 PST 2012

BRECKSVILLE LITTLE THEATER
PRESENTS "OUR TOWN"

Brecksville Little Theater presents one of America’s most widely produced plays, Thornton Wilder’s Our Town, March 16 through March 31, 2012 at the Brecksville Old Town Hall.  Our Town replaces L’il Abner which was originally slated for the winter slot.

Described by Edward Albee as “…the greatest American play ever written,” Our Town follows the small town of Grover’s Corners and explores the relationship between two young neighbors, George Gibbs and Emily Webb, whose childhood friendship blossoms into romance, then culminates in marriage and eventually – in one of the most famous scenes in American theatre – death.   When Emily loses her life in childbirth, the circle of life is fully realized.

Thornton Wilder's most frequently performed play, Our Town earned Wilder his second Pulitzer, making him the only American author to win Pulitzer Prizes for both fiction and drama.

This timeless drama of life is an American classic with universal appeal. “Indeed the play's success across cultural borders around the world attests to its being something much greater than an American play: it is a play that captures the universal experience of being alive."  -- Donald Margulies in the Foreword to Our Town.  In an innovative staging approach by director Bruce Orendorf, the audience for this production of Our Town will be seated among the town's people and be able to experience the town's family friendly atmosphere.

Performance dates/times are Friday & Saturday March 16, 17, 23, 24, 30, 31 at 8 pm with Sunday Matinees on March 18 and 25 at 2 pm.  The Brecksville Old Town Hall is located at 49 Public Square near the intersection of Rts. 82 and 21 in Brecksville. Cost is $10. For reservations, call 440-526-4477.