[NEohioPAL] ARTISTS' Talk - April 4th - Chagrin Falls - Painters Mary Hobbs & Charles Deihl

Sharon sharonschnall at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 13 08:50:47 PDT 2012

PRESS RELEASE
SPEAKER EVENT: April 4th – “Hear Who’s Here”
FEATURING:  Artists CHARLES “BUD” DEIHL and MARY HOBBS
The Chagrin Valley Little Theatre
Hear Who’s Here
Many of our Chagrin Valley neighbors are artistically gifted and regionally and nationally famous.  Now you can meet them and hear their stories, up close and in person.  The Chagrin Valley Little Theatre (CVLT) is proud to profile two of these interesting community members:  artists Charles “Bud” Deihl and Mary Hobbs will speak at 7:00 p.m., April 4th at the River St. Playhouse, 56 River Street; part of the Chagrin Valley Little Theatre’s campus in Chagrin Falls Village.
This evening will showcase the journeys and favorite career highlights of these Chagrin Falls professionals, whose artistic pursuits span over four decades.
Charles “Bud” Deihl holds graduate degrees in painting and drawing (1963) and sculpture (1965) from Michigan State University. For 14 years, he pursued dual careers as a graphic designer and illustrator and as a college art professor.
>From 1974 through the 1990s, he maintained administrative posts at several universities including President at Kendall College of Art and Design in Grand Rapids, Michigan and later President of the Columbus College of Art & Design in Ohio, where he remained until his retirement.  Originally an abstract expressionist, starting in 1963 he created large works on canvas using housepaint and four-inch wide brushes.  Then, following a 35-year hiatus, Mr. Deihl returned to painting, making a radical shift to a superrealist style.  His paintings contain images that deliberately mystify, prompting viewers to seek their own understandings of the meaning.
Mary Hobbs received a Bachelor of Arts degree, in 1958, from Baldwin-Wallace College in Berea, Ohio.  Throughout the 1960s, ‘70s and ‘80s, she was a fashion artist, illustrator and art director for a Who’s Who of clothing and furniture retailers and the media in northeast Ohio, Florida, Michigan, and New York.  Included among her well-known men’s, women’s and children’s clothing accounts were:  The Richman Brothers Company, the May Department Stores Company, and The Higbee Company.
In 1990, she furthered her career through the world of “color.”  This new artistic direction resulted thanks to a colored pencil workshop that she attended.  Now a commission artist, her work features realistic and vibrant images of pets, children, homes, florals, and family montages. She is a longtime member of the Colored Pencil Society of America (CPSA), which has bestowed honors and recognition upon her work.
Both Mr. Deihl and Ms. Hobbs are faculty members of the Valley Art Center of Chagrin Falls.
A speaker meet-and-greet session, following their talk, will include exhibited art and complimentary refreshments.  All proceeds from ticket sales will benefit the Chagrin Valley Little Theatre. Future “Hear Who’s Hear” speaker events will be organized featuring other accomplished area neighbors.
For tickets:  Contact the CVLT box office at (440) 247-8955, 40 River St. Chagrin Falls, OH 44022-3024, cvlt at cvlt.org