[NEohioPAL] On Rudeness at Auditions...

Jennifer Nageotte jmn22 at case.edu
Fri Mar 16 15:42:15 PDT 2012

Dear Ms. Withers-Evans: I am so sorry that your granddaughter was made to
feel unwelcome.  I certainly hope that this is not a pattern within the
theater community in Northeast Ohio.  It has always been my experience that
the local community strives to be respectful of everyone’s time and talents
and so I hope that your Granddaughter is not too discouraged by this
incident but continues to be involved in this thriving and vibrant arts
community.  And thank you for speaking up.  Shining light on this sort of
issue reminds us all to work towards being more considerate, kind, and
professional.

Dear Mr. Miller: A quick Google search indicates that the audition in
question may have been for an independent film.  (I could be wrong, but I
believe this is likely the audition in question:
http://www.cleveland.com/hillcrest/index.ssf/2012/03/film_auditions_to_be_held_at_m.html.)
*This in no way excuses the underlying behavior.*  However, it also has
nothing to do with community theater management, use of grant money, or the
paying of stipends to volunteer actors (which I would think actually makes
participation more accessible to those who may not be able to afford the
extra gas and mileage expended going to and from rehearsals and
performances, but I digress…).  I can certainly appreciate a zero nonsense
stance but you do seem to be focused on a slightly different type of
nonsense than others are addressing.

Dear Ms. Collier: You are most definitely not a bitch.