[NEohioPAL] Audition etiquette

Mary L Davis marydavis at usa.net
Sat Mar 17 18:00:29 PDT 2012

As assistant to Ellie Ellsworth, the director of the Cabaret
Symposium of the Eugene O'Neill Theater Center in Waterford,
Connecticut, I facilitated Manhattan auditions by answering telephone
and email inquiries. After she selected the artists to audition, I
would call them to schedule their auditions.  I would later confirm
the audition within 48 hours prior to their appointment.  When
auditioning artists arrived I would sign them in, cordially offer
them hot tea or room temperature water. I would encourage them to
relax. I would tell them who would be evaluating them, answer any
questions they had about the Symposium program and then escort them
into the audition room. Every effort was made to help them feel
comfortable despite the highly competitive auditions. The Cabaret
Symposium was all about taking talented and experienced artists up to
a higher level. I'm proud to say that we created one of the most
positive audition experiences in NYC and only increased the prestige
of this very special program.

Mary L Davis