[NEohioPAL] Cleveland Theater Auditions

Ensemble Theatre ensemble-theatre at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 18 02:02:03 PDT 2012

________________________________
From: Ensemble Theatre <ensemble-theatre at sbcglobal.net>
To: "post at neohiopal.org" post at neohiopal.org; Curt Arnold
Cc: amiee collier <amiee.collier at gmail.com>
Sent: Sun, March 18, 2012 12:49:57 AM
Subject: Cleveland Auditions

Generally speaking, MOST theatres, community or professional, are very explicit
when it comes to announcing auditions for roles for plays they are producing. If
this is not the practice here in Cleveland, then this ruckus over 'audition
rudeness' should make it policy once and for all. How could anyone let an
audition hopeful sit there and wait, not even giving them a chance to read????
Doesn't sound like REAL theater people to me!!!

Non-traditional casting is a very important advancement in the American theatre
and most 'forward thinking' theatre groups,practice it.  For those who have any
sense at all, and are not intrinsically still bigoted and racist when it comes
to opening theatre to everyone, allowing mixed- race audition hopefuls to sit
and wait, when clearly the roles are race-specific is certainly 'ignorance at
its finest. . . ..'

Posting audition roleswith race requirements in LARGE print is the smart thing
to do. Theaters that are fortunate enough to practice NON-TRADITIONAL CASTING
should also announce this on their audition notices. Not only is it smart, it is
the'right' thing to do, and to overtly discriminate toward audition hopefuls
because of race speaks volumes about what your group is all about.

Our collective and sincere apologies to Eva Withers Evans and her granddaughter
for this unacceptable behavior. Let us all make the best efforts to prevent this
hurtful action from occurring  again.

Martin Cosentino
Managing Director
Ensemble Theatre of Cleveland