[NEohioPAL] Total Rudeness At An Audition

Michael A. Miller michael.act2 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 11:39:16 PDT 2012

I did theater from the 1970s until my last show in 1996. It's always been a
cliquish, gated den of self-entered, backstabbing snobs with, seemingly, no
way in. Unfortunately, the people who could benefit most from your remarks
are the ones who will fail to recognize themselves. If the part was
race-neutral and your granddaughter didn't fit the type, someone could have
let her know. Or they could have read her to see if they could have used
her in upcoming shows. Your granddaughter should bring this to the
attention of the artistic director of the theater or the company so s/he
knows how the organization is representing itself in the community. Since
the downfall of community theater in northeastern Ohio thanks, in part, to
a Beck Center's Tiny Emperor For Life, and organizations that used to be
"community theaters" now referring to themselves as "emerging professional"
companies because they had received grants that allowed them to pay
stipends to hand-picked actors, there should be zero tolerance for this
kind of nonsense. Never hesitate to call out oppression and face it down.

=Michael A. Miller=