[NEohioPAL] Cleveland Theater Auditions

Mark Cipra cipram at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 18 04:14:26 PDT 2012

I think we're always going to have this problem with poorly run auditions.
There will always new theater and film operations; all the more so with the
explosion of our film community due to the relatively low barriers to entry.
As a result, there will always be people with artiistic vision - but not
necessarily organizational skills - who jump in an hold auditions without
thinking the matter through thoroughly. It would be nice if this never
happened, and I feel terrible for the auditioners who have to experience it,
but it *will* continue to happen.

All we can do as community members is 1) show good behavior; 2) offer
resources (the NEOPAL posting guidelines being a good example); and 3)
encourage people to take advantage of this. And, of course, offer sympathy
and support to those who run afoul of bad behavior. We should recognize that
this bad behavior probably arises our of ignorance and inexperience rather
than malice.

I'm not as familiar with the film industry here, but not all that long ago
there were organizations which offered broad support for the theater
community - one for community theater and one for the emerging professional
theaters. It would be nice if these came back into being.

Mark Cipra

__

I looked ahead on my Mayan wall calendar. On December 1st it says "Time to
reorder!".