[NEohioPAL] The Tale of the Name of the Tree at TCT opens on Saturday!

Mindy Herman herman.mindy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 08:13:03 PDT 2012

*Talespinner Children's Theatre presents **The Tale of the Name of the Tree*
*
Inaugural production onstage June 16 – July 8*

 Talespinner Children's Theatre (TCT) Executive Artistic Director Alison
Garrigan is proud to announce the opening of *The Tale of the Name of the
Tree*, onstage June 16 – July 8 at the Reinberger Auditorium, 5209 Detroit
Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44102. Directed by Garrigan, the script is adapted by
Michael Sepesy.

When the animals run out of food, it will take the King of Beasts and a
magical tree to save them – but only if they can remember its name!  This
adaptation of a Bantu folktale brings together storytelling, puppets,
masks, percussion, and dance to create a rhythmic, exciting, and entrancing
world. *The Tale of the Name of the Tree *is a universal story – one that
springs from a proud and beautiful cultural origin, it speaks to children
everywhere with themes that are recognizable throughout the world – believe
in yourself and don't judge a book by its cover. This is a celebration of
story-telling that uses elements of style from different parts of the globe
to create a story that reaches out to everyone.

"One of the truly wonderful things about this style of children's theatre
is that it brings the audience into the story.  Without them, the tale is
not complete,” says Garrigan.  “We want kids to feel like the story is so
close they can touch it, be a part of it, literally. Using found objects in
the production helps to fuel the imagination, as well. I hope to make
children in the audience think 'I could do that when I go home!'”

Audience members are invited to meet the cast and puppets, touch the
costumes and even play the instruments after each performance.

Performances are June 16th - July 8th
*Showtimes: *Fridays and Saturdays at 2:00pm and 7:00pm, Sundays at 2:00pm
*Tickets:* $10 for children age 12 and under, $15 for adults. Group rates
are also available. TCT will present two Pay What You Can performances on
Sunday, June 17th at 2:00pm and Friday, June 22nd at 2:00pm. Patrons may
pay any amount at the door.

For tickets and reservations, please call 216.264.9680. For more
information on Talespinner Children's Theatre, please visit
www.talespinnerchildrenstheatre.org.

*The** Tale of the Name of the Tree *features Ray Caspio, Elaine Feagler,
James (Jack) Hunt, Nathaniel Leeson and Stephanie Wilbert.

 Directed by Alison Garrigan
Script Adaptation by Michael Sepesy
Movement/Percussion by Najaa Young
Puppet Design and Scenic Design by Lydia Lazar Chanenka
Lighting Design by Dave Brooks
Costume Design by Melanie Boeman
Stage Managed by Lauren Calevich

--