[NEohioPAL] Beck Center Youth Theater Scheduling Auditions for area premiere of AVENUE Q: SCHOOL EDITION

Jonathan Kronenberger jkronenberger at beckcenter.org
Mon Nov 5 13:13:23 PST 2012

The Beck Center for the Arts Youth Theater, the oldest Youth Theater in the country, has only a few more audition spots open for our upcoming teen production of the brilliantly fun and funny:

AVENUE Q: SCHOOL EDITION

Music and Lyrics by Robert Lopez and Jeff Marx

Book by Jeff Whitty

Direction by Jonathan Kronenberger

Musical Direction by Ian LeRoy

Choreography by Sarah Clare

Winner of the Tony "Triple Crown" for Best Musical, Best Score and Best Book, Avenue<http://www.mtishows.com/show_detail.asp?showid=000321> Q is part flesh, part felt and packed with heart. Avenue Q – School Edition is a laugh-out-loud musical that tells the timeless story of a recent college grad named Princeton who moves into a shabby New York apartment all the way out on Avenue Q. He soon discovers that although the residents seem nice, it's clear that this is not your ordinary neighborhood. Together, Princeton and his new-found friends struggle to find jobs, dates, and their ever-elusive purpose in life.

About the “School Edition” of Avenue Q:
Because the original Avenue<http://www.mtishows.com/show_detail.asp?showid=000321> Q has some content elements that have previously made it a difficult choice for some high school productions, MTI has worked with the Avenue<http://www.mtishows.com/show_detail.asp?showid=000321> Q authors to create an adaptation that maintains the dramatic intention and integrity of the piece, while editing it to make it more appropriate for high school audiences and performers.  Obscenities have been removed with two songs excised and the famed “Internet” song featuring new lyrics: “My Social Life is Online.” Glimpse a bit more about it all at: http://www.mtishowspace.com/pg/video/304664/show

Audition/Callback Dates: (open to all Beck Center Students ages 12 to 19*)

·         Auditions: Saturday, November 17: 3:00 to 7:00 pm
& Sunday, November 18 from 1:00 to 5:00pm

·         Callbacks: Sunday, November 19: 5:00 to 8:00 pm

Please sign up for a one-hour audition slot at Beck Center Customer Service or call 216-521-2540 x10.

*Please note:

Although auditioning in Fall Semester, participation in this production is only available to those who will be registered in our Winter/Spring 2013 semester (either in Dance, Music, Theater or Visual Arts).

So if you are accepting a role in the show, you will need to enroll prior to the start of rehearsals.  Any questions, please feel free to contact the director, Jonathan Kronenberger, at 216-521-2540 x27.

Our 2013 Winter/Spring catalog will be available at www.beckcenter.org<http://www.beckcenter.org> starting December 1, 2012.

What to Prepare:

Students are asked to prepare two things for these auditions. Note:

1)      a two person scene – one minute or less – where the actor plays both roles: one as the actor and one as the puppet.  You may bring your own puppet, use a sock or I will have some available you can use.

2)      A song – up to one minute in length – that shows off your range.  You are welcome to a duet with a puppet as well for this, but it is not required.

3)      Memorization is encouraged.

Potential Rehearsals Schedule:

Rehearsals: November 27, 2012  – February 2, 2013

Mon, Tue, Weds, Thurs, Fridays: 5:00 – 8:30 pm
Saturdays: 2:30 – 6:30pm or Sundays 1:00-5:00pm
We will NOT be rehearsing every day.  I will pick the days that best accommodate everyone’s schedules – once I know conflicts for above, particularly holiday breaks and availability.

Tech Week:  February 3 – 7, 2013
Sunday from 1:00 – 9:00 and Weekdays 4:30-9:00

All cast members are required to attend ALL rehearsals during
Tech Week!

Performance dates:  February 8 – 17, 2013
All cast members are required to attend all Performances!!
Fridays, February 8 & 15 at 7:30 pm
Saturdays, February 9 & 16 at 7:30 pm
Sundays, February 10 & 17 at 3:00 pm
Student Matinee: Thursday, February 14 at 10:00am
(NOTE: This will require missing school that morning.)

AVENUE Q: SCHOOL EDITION is presented through special arrangement with Music Theater International.

Please check out and join our Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beck-Center-Theater-Education-Youth-Theater/80835041820?ref=ts

Beck’s 2012-2013  Youth Theater Season
Our Town (November 1-4, 2012); Going Medieval: A Ye Olde Comedie (December 14-23, 2012); Avenue Q: School Edition (February 8-17, 2013) and Bye Bye Birdie! (May 10-19, 2013)

Located at 17801 Detroit Avenue in Lakewood, Beck Center for the Arts is a not-for-profit 501(c)3 organization that offers professional theater productions, arts education programming in dance, music, theater, visual arts, early childhood, and creative arts therapies for special needs students, and gallery exhibits featuring local, regional and international artists. For more information visit beckcenter.org<http://www.beckcenter.org/>.