[NEohioPAL] Broadway World Cleveland Awards - a caveat

Deborah Magid magicdsm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 06:05:16 PST 2012

There was a rather lively conversation about these "awards" some time ago, since they ignore many categories of theater artists.  Supposedly that was going to be rectified - but clearly has not.  Thrilled as I am that Drew Rothman was nominated in THE BERLIOZ PROJECT, I agree with Mr Hawkes that it does seem a questionable endeavor.

Cheers,
Deb

On Nov 8, 2012, at 6:17 AM, Robert Hawkes wrote:

> One would like to congratulate friends and colleagues nominated for the Broadway World Cleveland "Awards". And so I do, but I do notice a certain...softness in the process, visible in the following inaccuracies:
>
> Dan Folino is nominated in both Equity and non-Equity categories (for the same performance) because the nominations come from ANYbody, and SOMEbody didn't know the difference, and NObody is checking. Alison Garrigan is also nominated as Alison Hernan because some "nominator" remembered her previous name and didn't bother to check. Zac Hoogendyk is nominated for an Equity role in "MilkMilkLemonade" at convergence-continuum, a play in which he did not appear and the cast of which had no Equity members anyway. Somebody saw Zac Hudak in the play and misremembered.
>
> Who knows what might emerge from further investigation?
>
> So while I offer my congratulations, I think I will abstain from voting in a contest the integrity of which seems questionable.
>
> yrs in the good fight
>
> Robert Hawkes

> Please consider a voluntary contribution to support Neohiopal - http://www.fredsternfeld.com/faqs.htm#support
> ______________________________________
>
> Disclaimer: The facts and/or opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the person in the 'from' or 'reply-to' header. The fact that this message is posted should in no way be taken as an endorsement by the administrator of this list. Subscribers should perform due diligence for all goods, services and activities promoted on NEohioPAL.

http://miseentheatre.wordpress.com/
March 6, 2013: playwright THE SECRET LIFE OF BIRDS, reading, Dramatists Guild Friday Night Footlights
February 7-16, 2013: playwright VALIDATION, Convergence Continuum Theatre
October 13 & 20, 2012: actor ANGELIC VOICES IN RITARDANDO by Vickie Williams, Cleveland Public Theatre Springboard 2012
October 6, 2012: writer/performer This Improvised Life at Big Dog Theater
August 9-18 2012: playwright SHIFT! production, Mildred's Umbrella Theater Co Museum of Dysfunction V, Houston TX
August: interview 31 Plays in 31 Days
International Centre for Women Playwrights, Cleveland Play House Playwrights' Unit, League of Professional Theatre Women, Dobama Theatre Playwrights' GYM, Dramatists Guild, American Composers' Forum
http://deborahmagid.com/