[NEohioPAL] AUDITIONS for Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris - at Near West Theatre

Kelcie Dugger KDugger at nearwesttheatre.org
Mon Feb 25 11:28:48 PST 2013

Brel is, of course, no longer alive and well. He died of lung cancer in 1978 at age 49. But in his relatively short life, Brel, who was born in Belgium but settled in Paris, made an indelible impression as a cabaret singer, composer and poet, writing and singing with critical passion about the greed of the middle classes, the delusions of love, the immorality of the church and the banks, and the many faces of oppression.  Near West's creative team will conceptualize a ruthless and fanciful new theatrical experience, drawing on a mix of styles from cabaret to performance art, guerilla street  theater to religious ritual. Instead of the four performers on stools typically associated with this show, we will form a multiracial, intergenerational cast of 40 characters that will morph from clown to robot,    pregnant teen to priest, madwoman to Wall Street banker. This spring show will break the box in terms of how audiences have perceived and encountered these legendary songs, including "If We Only Have Love," "Timid Frieda," "My Death," "Alone" and "Sons Of."

February 26, 27 & 28
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
(Ages 16 yrs. & up)

7:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
This is a group audition. Come one of these evenings.
Plan to stay for the entire time specified.

Audition Location:
St. Luke's Episcopal Church
(1349 W. 78th St. at West 78th St. & Lake Road, enter through front door of church)

Arrive 15 minutes early to register
Anyone arriving after the starting time will not audition that day.

About the Audition:
Seeking an expansive, multicultural, intergenerational cast.
All roles are open. No experience necessary. No prepared material needed.
A relaxed, playful and friendly atmosphere.
Wear comfortable clothing & shoes for dancing so you can move easily.

Group audition process. Actors are led through multiple improvisational exercises
including acting, movement and singing.

About the Show:
This show is a theatrical event which takes Brel's song/stories and brings them to vivid life on the stage. We will explore new ways to interpret them -- instrumentally, vocally, harmonically and theatrically. Near West's production will feel like RENT meets Cabaret meets Moulin Rouge. It will be abstract, grungy, sexy, visually complex, stunning and haunting.

We are looking to build a highly diverse ensemble of around 40 cast members -- diverse in age, race/ethnicity, emotional range, physicality and more.

There are more than usual opportunities for solo songs, solo lines, featured specialties like unicycle riding, juggling, mime, clowning, fire-eating (well maybe not fire-eating) but....surprise us with your "thing." Who knows -- it might end up in the show.

We want musician-actor-singers, too! Bring your instrument to auditions and play something for us. Accordionists to the front of the line, along with street drummers, violinists and cellists. Actors who sing and speak French will be pampered.

This is a true ensemble piece especially for actors looking to do a NON-CONVENTIONAL piece of theatre.....one which deconstructs theatrical formality and spills sweat and emotion into the space, inviting the audience to ride a weeping, drunken, wild and laughing beast from beginning to end.

Daring or "wannabee daring" actor/singer/dancers ONLY need apply ... he-he! (We'll help you connect to your "inner daring," of course!)

Rehearsals begin Sunday, March 10, 2013

For more information, visit our website, www.nearwesttheatre.org<http://www.nearwesttheatre.org>