[NEohioPAL] THE LARAMIE PROJECT at Oberlin College

Theater and Dance thedance at oberlin.edu
Wed Apr 17 11:28:42 PDT 2013

Greetings Northeast Ohio Artists,

Oberlin College Theater is pleased to present our production of *The
Laramie Project*
<http://oberlin.edu/artsguide/theater-dance/laramie.shtml>, by Moisés
Kaufman and members of the Tectonic Theater Project, directed by Associate
Professor of Theater and African American Studies Caroline Jackson
Smith. Performances are Thursday, Friday, and Saturday April 18-20 at 8pm
in Hall Auditorium (67 N Main St, Oberlin OH).

To purchase tickets and enquire about group rates, please call Central
Ticket Service at (440) 775-8169. Tickets are also available online at
www.oberlin.edu/tickets.

Cheers,
Oberlin College Theater and Dance Publicity Team
www.oberlin.edu/theater
www.oberlin.edu/dance

-------
ABOUT THE SHOW:

Laramie, Wyoming, October 7th, 1998. Matthew Shepard, a young homosexual,
was harassed, beaten, tied to a fence and left to die in what would become
one of the most notorious hate crimes in recent history. The horrendous
acts of this night led to the birth of the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd
Hate Crimes Act. In an attempt to humanize the politics of Shepard’s death,
Moisés Kauffman and the members of the Tectonic Theater Project immediately
traveled to this small town in crisis. The actual words of community
members are given voice and new life in an ensemble-based theater of
testimony piece. The story of Matthew Shepard, his community, and the
company alike reminds us of the violent consequences of bigotry. The
Laramie Project urges us to constantly demand social change in a world
where we to often ignore our bloodstained history. After all, we can never
have too many reminders.