[NEohioPAL] Member Review: HBTI The King and I - from theatremom.org

John Guinan aliasguinan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 10:34:46 PDT 2013

Hathaway Brown Theatre Institute - The King and I
review by: John Guinan, published on *theatremom*<http://www.theatremom.org>

Hathaway Brown Theatre Institute's production of *The King and
I*<http://www.fredsternfeld.com/hbti_productions_2013.htm>was beyond
exceptional. The attention to detail along with the passionate
performances made for a great show. I thoroughly understand that having a
child in the show makes it somewhat hard to be objective, however, any
praise I have for the show is stated with confidence because every aspect
of the show was that good. I am very glad (and lucky I guess) that the
first member review can be of this show, as it is easy to find positive
aspects to mention. I do believe that my being close to the show gives this
review a very unique perspective because I am keenly aware of all of the
hard work that went into getting it right.

The show opens strong and carries the enthusiasm all the way through the
curtain call. Many of the cast members where visibly emotional taking their
bows, which shows you what it meant to them and what they put into the
performance. While most plays share many commonalities, I always look for
the little things - the defining moments or aspects that make or break a
production. Attention to detail can make a good show great. There were many
moments like that in *The King and
I*<http://www.fredsternfeld.com/hbti_productions_2013.htm>
* *- The vocal performances were all stellar,and I do mean all; The solo
vocal performances were so strong and on point you could almost feel the
audiences appreciation. The ensemble cast was very crisp and devoted in
their roles, and really adhered to one of my motto's - *every role is the
most important role in the show, and should be played as such*. The
costumes were fantastic, and their were many changes, our kids marveled at
how beautiful and vibrant they were. The next day our little ones searched
the house for similar garbs to reenact what they had seen. Going back to my
unique perspective, having a child who was not a principle, my eyes watched
the entire stage and I was so impressed by the choreographing. It looked as
though the stage was built around the musical - which made it play out
great.

This review is from my viewing of the show, as I experienced it. I believe
the theatre is a living, breathing entity so I did not go home and ponder
what to write or think back on moments. This is *my*  honest opinion, and I
have seen hundreds of shows. A really good gauge as well is how much our
children enjoyed it. Our 5, 6, and 8 really loved it and they followed it,
which except for maybe Annie, they sometimes have problems doing. The
theatre's temperature for me was perfect, which means it was very cold; the
refreshments could have been a little better and perhaps re-positioned, all
of which complement the experience but take nothing away from the amazing
performance as a whole.  I will leave you with what my answer to family and
friends who have not seen the show yet has been - *The King and
I*<http://www.fredsternfeld.com/hbti_productions_2013.htm>is so good,
and so professionally done, that I would put it up against any
other show... or venue. Seriously, everything about it was enjoyable.
John Guinan
member