[NEohioPAL] Production Team Opportunities, TrueNorth Cultural Arts

Rick Fortney rfortney at metroparks.cc
Mon Mar 3 15:10:05 PST 2014

Currently accepting applicants for the following areas:

Stage Managers

Costume Designers

Tech Directors

Scenic Designers

House Managers

TrueNorth Cultural Arts is located at French Creek Nature and Arts Center in Sheffield Village and are in partnership with The Lorain County Metro Parks.  TrueNorth produces 6 Main Stage and 6 Family Life productions each year.  Call or write for further information.

TrueNorth's Mainstage Theatre Series is filled with Broadway hits, musicals, and classics. Each production is fully staged with professional lights, sounds, costumes, and live music, and each showcases the very best in local talent. In addition, each season is highlighted by a unique "commissioned" piece which brings local history to life. Past productions have included plays about the Underground Railroad, The U.S. Steel Mill, the Easter Seals, and most recently the Burrell sisters, one of the founding families of Sheffield Village.  The TrueNorth Theatre attracts some of the best talent from around the region, both onstage as well as on the directing and production teams. Performances are always well received by audience members, and TrueNorth has had numerous productions that have won or been nominated for Cleveland's Broadwayworld.com awards, Cleveland Hot List, The Berko Awards, Ohio Parks and Recreation Association Awards of Excellence, and Pulse Magazine's Best of Lorain County awards. For each season we also offer special daytime student matinees for several different productions that meet the Academic Content Standards for Ohio. TrueNorth partners with organizations such as the Community Foundation of Lorain County to offer additional education opportunities for free or at a very low cost for youth and students.

We also strive to make the theatre experience a great experience for all of our patrons, including the recent addition of Assistive Listening Devices free of use to patrons during performances, handicap seating available for all performances, and the addition of our stadium seating units several years ago. Even with these additions and our commitment to producing high quality productions, TrueNorth has still been successful in keeping ticket prices that are affordable to all patrons.

The Family Life Series is something completely unique to TrueNorth. This program is designed to expose younger children and families to the joys of theatre, while also offering a free workshop in the same theme of the production. Family Life shows are performed in our smaller Pijor Hall for a more intimate environment that focuses less on the higher production values that one would experience in the Mainstage Theatre Series and more on using imagination and creativity to bring the shows to life on stage.

Different productions in the Family Life Series are catered to different age groups, from elementary school through high school age students.  Free activities and workshops are included to supplement the productions and bring a higher educational background to the theatre experience. Previous workshops have included Elf craft workshops for The Nutcracker: A Wacky Holiday Musical, bullying talkbacks for Three Billy Goats Gruff, and an astronomy workshop for Schoolhouse Rock!.  While some of the productions feature adult actors there are also several productions each season that specifically feature youth performers, to give each the opportunity to learn the creative process and gain a better understanding of performance in live theatre.

Richard A. Fortney
LCMP Cultural Arts Manager
TrueNorth Cultural Arts, Artistic Director

French Creek Nature and Arts Center
4530 Colorado Avenue
Sheffield Village, Ohio  44054

440.949.5200, ext.229