[NEohioPAL] AUDITIONS for A Map of Virtue at convergence-continuum

convergence-continuum csimon at convergence-continuum.org
Thu Apr 24 07:46:58 PDT 2014

CONVERGENCE-CONTINUUM AUDITIONS FOR "A MAP OF VIRTUE" -SUN, MAY 3 AT 3:30 PM

convergence-continuum will be holding auditions for the regional premiere
of  the 2012 OBIE-award winning A MAP OF VIRTUE by Erin Courtney, directed
by Artistic Director, Clyde Simon. Auditions will be held on Sunday, May 3
at 3:30 pm at the Liminis theater, 2438 Scranton Rd., Cleveland 44113 in
the Tremont neighborhood.  The production will run June 20 - July 12.

Synopsis:
Part interview, part comedy, part middle-night-middle-forest horror story,
A Map of Virtue is a perfectly symmetrically-structured play guided by a
bird statue. An unlikely friendship between Mark and Sarah develops when
he gives her a small bird statue during a chance encounter.  Although
inextricably linked, they remain strangers (she’s married, he has a
boyfriend) until they are forced, along with Sarah’s husband Nate and
Mark’s boyfriend Victor, to endure a frightening weekend when they are
held captive by eccentric sociopaths June and Ray in a cabin deep in the
woods that derails into a quiet, pitiless nightmare. The play is a
meticulously symmetrical arrangement of themes, organized around seven
virtues which are announced by the narrator – the tiny statue of a
meadowlark. "Though it begins as a quirky meditation on chance and
symmetry, Ms. Courtney's drama soon reveals itself as one of the most
terrifying plays of the past decade.” (Alexis Soloski, The New York Times)

The roles of June and Ray have already been cast.  The available roles are
as follows.  Those auditioning for the available roles should be able to
play characters in the age range of late 20's to late 30's.

Sarah - an artist and sometimes poet, a bit New Agey.

Mark - something of a vagabond world-traveler, with a troubled past.

Bird Statue - could be cast as male or female.  Not costumed to look like
a bird or a statue, rather is the embodiment and voice of the bird statue
and our guide through the story.

Nate - Sarah's husband, grounded, often the voice of reason.

Victor - Mark's boyfriend and unlikely hero.

Auditions will consist of readings from the script. Rehearsals would start
the week of May 11 with a light schedule while our current production,
Swimming in the Shallows, is running (thru May 24), then a more condensed
schedule leading up to opening on June 20.

Please respond to me at this email address if you will be attending the
auditions, and I'll email you the sides from the script we will be
reading.

Clyde Simon
Director